Any FF issues with the RN?

Chila88

I have been following the SKJP threads a bit and am disgusted. I don't know anyone currently using one rf'ing, but do have several friends using them ff'ing for their older kids.

Are there any issues that have been brought to light with the seat(s) while ff'ing that I should make my friends aware of?

Last edited:
ADS

Meg

Re: Any FF issues with the RA?

I had an issue while the seat was FF last week, although, I don't know that it's related to the direction the seat was facing. The harness pulled straight out of the seat and didn't stay tight. Obviously it's a huge issue, but I don't know how widespread it is. At least 3 different people have reported the problem to the NHTSA since last month though.

Mae

Erm ... Yeah.

I have my RNXTSL installed FF outboard with LATCH in my '04 Grand Am. It's been there since I got the seat, so a month or two. ETA: This makes it sounds like it's been installed there without ever moving. I mean that it's been installed here, and taken out, numerous times, and I've never noticed a problem. The seat itself has been installed *here* for maybe a week or so. This morning I had to drive an hour each way to go pick up a kid, the kid who would be using my seat.

I moved the crotch buckle to the outer most position because it's been getting in the way. I obviously didn't notice a problem with the install, and I had my arm in the RFing belt path to move the crotch buckle. I didn't notice anything.

We got home and the kiddo got out of the seat. I decided to try to move the headwings down just a tad, as they were up a bit too high for my liking.

The back of the RN pulled off my vehicle seat. :confused:

I was very leery to check for movement. There was several inches of movement in my seat.

My installs are rock-the-car solid. I know it's not because it was not properly installed to begin with. It was the darned superLATCH.

Why didn't I notice the looseness? The stupid rubber grips on the bottom of the seat. :thumbsdown:

Video:

YouTube - Radian XTSL SuperLATCH Loosening

Remember what I said? This is while I had a kid in the seat. For an hour drive. On the interstate. A FOUR lane interstate.

That entire thread has a list of people who are having problems, and they explain whether it's FF or RF.

Cars affected by SuperLATCH loosening - Video included.

Stelvis

Mae -- great video by the way. Have you considered making the caption below on YouTube a little more explicit as to what is going on? My only thought is that to the uninitiated/untrained, it might be hard for someone to see that the seat continues to loosen the more you jostle it. It's great that it's getting so many hits!

Chila88

Yikes..:eek:..I had read lots about kids feet losening the strap when rf'ing, so wasn't sure if the problems affected ff'ers.....obviously it still does! I will forward this thread to my friends....feel free to keep posting with additional issues.

Mae

it might be hard for someone to see that the seat continues to loosen the more you jostle it. It's great that it's getting so many hits!

Oh, it wasn't loosening more as I jostled it. There's seriously how much slack was in it ( :eek: ) I just had a hard time demonstrating the slack because of the rubber grips (likely the same reason I didn't notice the slack :rolleyes: ).

Stelvis

Mae said:
Oh, it wasn't loosening more as I jostled it. There's seriously how much slack was in it :eek: I just had a hard time demonstrating the slack because of the rubber grips (likely the same reason I didn't notice the slack :rolleyes: ).

Oh, okay! Now I see! Ack that is scary.

Mae

I fixed the description. :)

I've also had that video as "only viewable to those with the link" because I hate linking my family to my videos and then having them see the Radian one :)o) but I made it public yesterday and have gotten over 150 hits today!

Stelvis

Mae said:
I fixed the description. :)

I've also had that video as "only viewable to those with the link" because I hate linking my family to my videos and then having them see the Radian one :)o) but I made it public yesterday and have gotten over 150 hits today!

That's great! You're helping people stay safe! I'm glad that both videos are there, one FF and one RF, one loose on its own, and one caused by the child. It shows the spectrum of the problem.

Stelvis

I tried and tried to make a new one to show DS actually in the act of kicking it...of course as soon as I told him it was okay and I wanted him to do it, he was no longer interested and refused for 20 minutes. ;)

gsdguenter

I'm really annoyed as I reported to NHSTA, called SKJP and emailed them (Kristin) with pictures and nothing has happened yet! I just haven't been using the seat it's been happening with - harness loosening, but what if I didn't have this luxury?!

I need to call again tomorrow, but I have to admit I am a bit discouraged and of course when the harness loosened on me I didn't have the video camera set up :mad: I'm terrified they will say something rude to me (I know it's my own insecurity, but still).

gsdguenter

I tried and tried to make a new one to show DS actually in the act of kicking it...of course as soon as I told him it was okay and I wanted him to do it, he was no longer interested and refused for 20 minutes. ;)

LOL, that was like me with my stupid harness: whenever I was set up to video it I couldn't get it to slip out, and when I was unprepared it malfunctioned :hitselfonhead:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC