Logistics of flying with 3 kids and 1 adult

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I'm flying soon with just the kids. We are doing a late night flight and get in at 6am, then a quick layover, and another 2 hour flight.

Since there are four of us and the plane sits 3x3, and two kids will be in car seats, we will have to be split up somehow. DS will have to be by the window, since he will be RF'ing. Then Scarlett will have to sit next to him. Mali will be in just the lap belt. If they are all sleeping I'm ok with them all being next to each other with me across the aisle. For the morning flight when they are up, I imagine I'll put Mali across the aisle so I can sit with the littles and feed them breakfast.

I am assuming I will take a Radian and the Coccoro. Any reason I should take something different? I have two Radians, a Coccoro, a Safe Seat, and a Complete Air (well and an EFTA but not planning on taking that). I was planning on having my ILs pick up a Turbo.

I am planning on getting a luggage cart for the Radian, then putting the diaper bag on that and the CCO over top. I'll pull that, the girls will walk, and I will put DS in the Ergo.

When we get to Phx we will be renting a minivan and they might be in my IL's Hyundai Santa Fe or Ford Focus as well.

ADS

Pixels

Your plan sounds good. The only other option I would consider is to put the Radian on the luggage cart, nest the Cco in the Radian, and put DS in the Cco. Then carry the diaper bag and you have a rigged stroller for the little one. If it's stable enough and one of your girls needs/wants to hitch a ride, they could potentially sit in the "stroller" and you could wear DS.

Actually, having done the airport thing by myself with one LO, just wear DS. It's easier getting through security with the little one well contained while you deal with all the stuff, then the last thing you do is take him off, send the carrier through the X-ray, and the first thing you do on the other side is put him back on. No chance of runaway toddler while you are distracted.

AlisonZ

(Ah - no stroller. Ignore that then.)

Just remember that you can't have a luggage cart after you go through security, and also when getting off until you get to baggage claim. So you will be carrying two seats and a kid while pushing a stroller somehow... (Two kids, one stroller and one seat on an international flight about killed me).

You will have to send each seat and the stroller through the X-Ray. Don't take your shoes off until you've kicked down your stroller - painful barefoot, at least, for the ones I've travelled with. Hopefully you don't get a TSA worker like I once did who asked me if I could go a bit quicker...

If you don't mind odd looks, ask for a wheel chair to use in lieu of the cart when you're through security. I had to resort to this when one of my stroller's wheels was lost/broken off in transit (thank you Delta) before they brought it back to me and I had a kid in an infant seat. It worked.

Beg to allow them to let you board early, this is no longer routinely done by many airlines for parents boarding with kids. Aisles are narrow, and you will be knocking people out with those seats as you walk back.

Good luck. It's going to be hard. But people (women) will likely help, so accept all offers.

AlisonZ

Oh yeah. One more thing. Not that this should deter from RF'ing, but whoever is sitting in front of him is not going to able to recline their seat at all, and they are going to likely be mad and complain a lot about it, and the steward is probably going to ask you to flip the seat... Not that I've had this happen or anything...
:eek:

MomToEliEm

Make sure to print a copy of the FAA regulations just in case anyone complains about not having all the seats in the window position. The document does state that the window is preferred, but other seating positions are acceptable as long as they don't block access during an emergency exit.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
They should be able to recline their seat with the CCO right? It's so tiny. He will be RF either way.

Does the Radian work well RF in a Focus or Santa Fe? Or should I plan on FF'ing the 4yo?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Oh yeah. One more thing. Not that this should deter from RF'ing, but whoever is sitting in front of him is not going to able to recline their seat at all, and they are going to likely be mad and complain a lot about it, and the steward is probably going to ask you to flip the seat... Not that I've had this happen or anything...
:eek:

Tough on them. And what if they had the last row of the cabin, or the row in front of the exit row? Those don't recline either. They're not guaranteed a reclining seat, they're guaranteed transit from point A to point B. Sweetly apologize that your child's SAFETY seat is blocking, and offer to buy a drink.

There are separate carts in a lot of airports past security. Here in Seattle there are. I've had them right up to the gate, and been allowed to bring the same one through security, though that was obviously an exception (me and Piper, her carseat, our luggage, and me three weeks post surgery and hobbling on a cane).

But if you bring a luggage cart with you, and a bungee cord, you can put the Radian on open, put in the CCO and diaper bag, and bungee it all together. You can get a cart and bungee at Walmart or Target for about $20.

Wendy

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Thanks, I will definitely get the luggage cart. I have flown with both girls when they were little but this is the first time with all 3!

Do you think M will be able to sleep in the lap belt? Would a neck pillow help? Or should I get a CARES for the trip for her?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't know if a CARES would help. I think it's more the width than the harness. A pillow would probably help. Piper needs two seats to sleep now.

Wendy

AlisonZ

There are carts past security?

Not in Savanna, Atlanta, Heathrow, Gatwick or Cincy. Or else I'm not looking hard enough.
:/

yeah - I know tough luck on the non-recline for passengers in front, but they were VERY rude and aggressive about it.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Seattle has carts past security. I think Raleigh does as well. You have to rerent them, but they're out there in some places. But if you bring your own luggage cart from home, it doesn't matter!

They can be as rude and aggressive about it as they want (I had a flight attendant tell me I was going to KILL Piper because she was 21 pounds rear facing on board in a 33 pound rear facing seat). You purchased a ticket and brought a carseat aboard. You are within your rights as per the FAA to use the seat appropriately rear or forward facing on a forward facing seat. If you turn the seat around, that's your choice, but they cannot force you. If they try (and I've had them try, obviously) ask where it says it in the manual while you start to turn it around. Move slowly, since they won't find it in their manuals. There, you're a good and compliant passenger, and they've learned something.

Wendy

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I've never rented the airport carts; I'll buy my own ;) I don't think you can take them past security in ANC; I know you can in Seattle but we are flying into PDX for one leg.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
You *should* be able to wear your DS through security -- unless they've changed it again. Some TSAs freak out about it despite the rules, though.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Good to know! Last time I flew with the kids (3 years ago) I had to take DD out of the sling for security. Not a big deal but it just adds a couple of minutes.

Ugh, so now I guess we get to deal with the scanners :(

It could all go really well or it could be a giant nightmare since it's the middle of the night. Hopefully we won't have huge meltdowns :eek:

monica-m

CPST Instructor
We flew out of Houston to Pensacola a few weeks ago and we did not have to deal with the scanners. I was all prepared to refuse scanning for DS and I but it wasn't an issue. My cousin, however had an issue a few weeks prior when a TSA agent tried to get her to go through the backscatter pregnant :eek:. She stood her ground and it didn't happen. The terminal we were flying out of had them but they were not using them and Pensacola did not even have them. I had to remove DS from the Ergo and send it through the x-ray machine but that wasn't that big of a deal. I believe they allow luggage carts beyond security at IAH (Houston).

Pixels

I've never been allowed to babywear through security. I always try, though. Just act like you don't plan to take it off, and then act mildly surprised and comply if they ask you to take it off.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
If Scarlett fits in the CCO, I would think taking that and the Safeseat would be a better option than bringing the RN. Then you can take two rolling carryon suitcases. Bungee the CCO to one and the SS to the other and wear the baby.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I'm now really considering taking the CA for Scarlett instead of the Radian. I flew with a Radian once a couple years ago and hated that the buckle was in the middle off M's back. It's also SO heavy and I'm still not supposed to be lifting anything heavier than DS. :rolleyes: The big draw to use the CA over the Radian though is that I can recline it so she can sleep on the plane in it.

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
Just to add another option to the mix, but when I fly with my 3 kids, I prefer to sit 2 and 2, with my two older boys (last time I did it, they were 4 and 6) sitting behind me and the baby. That way I have 2 window seats, and I also find that it's easier for me to reach everyone. The rows are pretty close together, so I can hand things to the boys behind me.

For your oldest, I'd probably just take a pillow or stuffed animal to help with sleeping.

Are you sure that there is breakfast on your morning flight? Two hours isn't that long and they don't always have meals. I end up taking a lot of snacks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC