Grrr!!! at daycare!!!

mommy2jana

So, yesterday dd's daycare was having a picnic party at the park down the road from the center. It was to celebrate the last day of Pre-K, but they let all of the kids in the center go. They had fun playing games, grilling out, etc. When I interviewed the center before dd started going there, the director told me when they go to the park, they all walk there and walk back - no need to drive because it is so close. I told her before Jana started going that if there were ever a field trip or anything where they would be transporting the kids, to let me know ahead of time because dd would have to ride with me (they don't allow carseats on their van). She knows how neurotic I am about car safety because everytime I witness someone doing something wrong with their kid in a carseat when I'm picking Jana up, I tell her about it.

So, back to yesterday. Last night (df picked her up), Jana told me that she rode in Mr. Morris' truck. :mad: She meant the van - she pointed it out this morning. I asked her if she was in a carseat, she said no. I asked about a seatbelt, she said "Mr. Morris said no, I told him the policeman was going to get us and he said no, the police are getting stranger-dangers and school is really close...its ok not to wear a seatbelt." :eek: I reassured her that she needs to always be in her carseat so she can be safe in the car. I explained to her how she is too little to not use a carseat and I don't want her to get hurt. I told her she wasn't in trouble for telling me, that was the right thing to do - though she still looked scared when I was talking to the director.

I went into school and said hello like I normally do. Then I told them (the director and her husband - Mr. Morris) that I had a complaint. I told them that Jana informed me she rode in a vehicle yesterday and that she was not in a carseat or a seatbelt. I told them that she is too young and too little to not be in a carseat, and I didn't care how short the trip was. I also told them that I was upset that she was in a vehicle at all without my permission. They both said they were sorry and they said it would never happen again. But, they acted "mad" that I called them out on it. They weren't their normal, happy, smiling, talkative selves towards me. I know that none of the other parents there give a flying crap about CPS at all.

ADS

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Wow... So sorry this happened - I'd be upset and angry, too. :mad: Isn't there a law that daycare kids have to be restrained...? I guess preschoolers/school kids don't have to be, but what about daycare in a van? And don't worry about their reaction... you have all of us behind you. :)

broken4u05

That is wrong of them. If you told them you did not want them to drive her for any reason than they can not for any reason without calling you and you saying she can ride with them. I used to work in a center. We never went on trips but there were things that parents did or did not want their children to do and as much as we would hate it we had to do it because they are not our children. Are you going to do anything further with the center or just wait to see what happens?

amy919

I would be beyond mad! I don't know what the laws/rules are where you are, but in order for my kids to leave the center, they MUST legally have a signed consent from me agreeing to it. They must also have a separate consent for transportation.

If they don't have a consent from you agreeing to this, they could get into A LOT of trouble with the state.

Amy

mommycat

I'm sure they seemed "mad" but am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume what they were really feeling was guilt and embarrassment and were wishing they had never put your child in the van. This would upset me too!

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Honestly, this would be a BIG issue for me. Not just that they were careless about CPS issues (because that would bother me period), but more so that you EXPRESSLY said to do/not do something, and they went ahead and did it anyway. I would be really worried that, well, if they blantantly went against your wishes on this matter, how are you to know they aren't following instructions in other areas as well, you know?

I'm so sorry you're in this position. You handled it really well though, both with the DCP and with Jana. I REALLY doubt I could've kept my cool

broken4u05

I would be beyond mad! I don't know what the laws/rules are where you are, but in order for my kids to leave the center, they MUST legally have a signed consent from me agreeing to it. They must also have a separate consent for transportation.

If they don't have a consent from you agreeing to this, they could get into A LOT of trouble with the state.

Amy

Yeah everything for children to do in centers has to have a signed form. I would do something more because if they have done it once they might try it again and because they seemed mad that you talked to them about it.

R&J'sMom

I would pull my child out immediately. If they can't honor your wishes on something this important, what other things have they done? I would also file a complaint through the state against the daycare center. I would not leave my child again with people who don't follow my instructions when it comes to my child, especially where safety is concerned. That "short" trip up the road could have very well resulted in an accident!

mommy2jana

I don't know what the laws are in my state...Florida....but they verbally told parents on Monday about the picnic at the park. The park is supposively really close only a block or two away - I've never personally seen it because I don't frequent that area of town, if you kwim. I was told that they often go down to the park before dd enrolled there....but was assured that they would always walk there and back. There are not very many daycares that are "acceptable" to my standards in the town that we live in. I think the only way I would persue further action is if I took my dd out of that daycare. I don't want them to treat her differently if they get in trouble, you know? DD seems to like it ok there, but it just doesn't compare to the center she used to go to before we moved. Since coming to this center dd has changed so much. She is afraid to wear certain things to school because kids will laugh at her, she gets bullied a lot - comes home with scratches and pinch marks (with no accident report from the center), and she's been potty trained for over a year and a half and is now having accidents - at least twice a week. I always voice all of my concerns to the director. I really wish I could find another place for her...but like I said, there really isn't any. We left the good school in November, then she went to a home daycare until February, and she's been in this current center since Feb.

broken4u05

I don't like the sound of that center. There is no way of finding a different center? She seems to have problems with the center if she is scared to dress in some way and having accidents. That is not good IMO

arly1983

I have to agree with everyone else...

As a home daycare provider, I have to have a signed premission to transport form to take a child ANYWHERE. If I did without that, I would probably lose my license. I would report them.

As for taking your daughter out, it really sounds like she needs to be taken out by your describtion of her experiences. She is 3.5? Is there no tech daycare/preschool is your area? They are usually very good. Also, would you be interested in looking into another home daycare?

mommy2jana

Ok...so I was looking on the DCF website at daycare facilities in our area. I decided to take a peek at her current daycare as they list their inspection reports. I saw that they just had a re-inspection from their renewal in April. So I looked at the renewal report and there was so many things they were non-compliant with. One thing on there that struck me was a statement that "The director states that she does not give medicine to children in her care." Basically, they were going to make sure she had everything properly locked away and properly labeled with proper signed authorization from parents. At the time of this inspection, my dd still had her Epi-Pen there. The fact that she blatantly lied about that and then the non-compliance things on there have pretty much made up my choice for me. I've got to find a better place.

Arly - we don't have anything like you mentioned here. I don't think I will ever consider another home daycare....we've tried 2 and had horrible experiences with them. Seriously, people in this area don't seem to give a crap about kids it seems. The only places in our town that I would want to send dd to are 1/2 day preschools. Those are the only decent ones. There's no way that I could do that because I have to work 40 hrs/week. Maybe I need to get my butt into school and then just open up my own home daycare! lol

ThreeBeans

Do you live in a unversity/college town? Often times they have excellent daycare on campus for students. And you could go back to school :p

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
((((Hugs)))) Stephanie, so sorry you're in this situation. :( I would be upset over the unrestrained car ride and the Epipens, and looking for another daycare, too.

R&J'sMom

I don't know what the laws are in my state...Florida....but they verbally told parents on Monday about the picnic at the park. The park is supposively really close only a block or two away - I've never personally seen it because I don't frequent that area of town, if you kwim. I was told that they often go down to the park before dd enrolled there....but was assured that they would always walk there and back. There are not very many daycares that are "acceptable" to my standards in the town that we live in. I think the only way I would persue further action is if I took my dd out of that daycare. I don't want them to treat her differently if they get in trouble, you know? DD seems to like it ok there, but it just doesn't compare to the center she used to go to before we moved. Since coming to this center dd has changed so much. She is afraid to wear certain things to school because kids will laugh at her, she gets bullied a lot - comes home with scratches and pinch marks (with no accident report from the center), and she's been potty trained for over a year and a half and is now having accidents - at least twice a week. I always voice all of my concerns to the director. I really wish I could find another place for her...but like I said, there really isn't any. We left the good school in November, then she went to a home daycare until February, and she's been in this current center since Feb.

All of these things you described about the change in your daughter's behavior since going to the new center are red flags. This is not a good fit for her. This does not sound like a child who is content and happy in her current daycare. I would change centers ASAP, then file a complaint.

wondering1

When imagining a solution, imagine your dream world with no restrictions...what would that look like? Throw out all the "have to" "can't" etc. and just write down any and all ideas that could help bring about your most desired situation - be that going to school, working part time, moving, having a trusted relative live in town, etc.

Once you've started getting the ideas going, you'll be amazed at what might be possible!

TxMomma

I would pull my child out immediately. If they can't honor your wishes on something this important, what other things have they done? I would also file a complaint through the state against the daycare center. I would not leave my child again with people who don't follow my instructions when it comes to my child, especially where safety is concerned. That "short" trip up the road could have very well resulted in an accident!

:yeahthat:

skaterbabs

Exactly. With the other issues you're having, this center really should be closed IMO, but it's not a safe place for your daughter.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC