bike helmets in the car

Nolan really loves his bike helmet, and honestly it is hard to gethim to take it off even in the car (perhaps he thinks I am a bad driver or something.. but truth be told it is harder for Keith to get him to take it off when he is driving hehe shh) anyways.. is it ok if he wears it in the car, or should I keep battling it off of his head when we go places? (honestly the battle just to get him into his car seat makes it almost not worth it to fight the helmet too.

ADS

Dillipop

Does it affect his fit in the carseat? If not, I don't think it's a big deal. My harnessed kids wear theirs sometimes, but my booster rider wouldn't be able to because of the headwings on his seat.

Pixels

Helmets absolutely should not be worn in the car. It is increased mass on their head, and it makes their head bigger and more likely to hit something. But mostly, it's increased mass and that increases neck strain.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
My personal concern with no actual data to back it up would be that it makes the head heavier and could increase head excursion

agave

I've always heard they shouldn't be worn in the car. I did once in college but um, that's another story.

mommycat

Besides increased mass, it also pushes the head forward away from the seat back, which would put the head closer to a point of impact to begin with, and then potentially alters neck loads when the head hits the carseat on rebound - that could add a twisting motion that would not have been there without the helmet. DS dearly wanted to ride in the car in his a couple of times (RF) but after seeing his neck position with it on I was not comfortable letting him wear it. Who knows, in some cases it might even prevent a head injury, but my gut feeling is the risk of a neck injury is increased too much to take the chance.

chay

I would speculate the ones for plagiocephaly would be fine. My reasoning is 1. they are a lot thinner compared to a bike helmet that sticks out 1-2" at the back and would push the head into a different position and 2. with plagiocephaly you're talking about a RF infant rather than a FF older child with a bike helmet (well at least most would be FF). I'm more worried about head excursion in a FF seat than a RF one (especially in a frontal collision).

Curious to see what an expert would say though.

mommycat

That would be my thinking too. And I think the medical helmet would wrap around the whole back of the head in an even surface? Though I haven't actually seen one, so can't say for sure. Plus, medical device would get a bit of an exemption as opposed to a helmet which isn't actually necessary (except in the opinion of stubborn toddler, lol).

good to know, I will show this to Keith who has informed me that he lets Nolan wear his helmet in the car all the time with him and thinks I am loosing it.:rolleyes:

tarabelle

baby_reddress.png

They're about an inch to inch and a half thick

When I intially responded, I was thinking of bike helmets for kids and I always picture these

416nqM%2BBJtL._SS500_.jpg

Which I wouldn't have as much of an issue with for a RF kiddo, it's about the same thickness as a plagio helmet, but I still don't think it's a great idea.

I always forget there's those other type of helmets like the racing ones which are much more common now.

Pixels

Would this apply to a kid wearing a helmet to correct plagiocephaly too?

Once you're talking about a child wearing a medical device in the seat, you've crossed the line into special needs. You have to try to balance the medical needs of the child vs. the potential safety benefits.

Often (certainly not always, but frequently) plagiocephaly is caused by overuse of the infant seat. For that situation, the helmet is especially important.

Evolily

OP- keep in mind there is a strangulation risk with bike helmets. Most reading I've done on the issue has said that children should only wear bike helmets when riding bikes and other ride ons.

leighi123

Levi went through this too, he was in love with his helmet for a while and never wanted it off!

I ended up making him a 'car hat' that he could only wear in the car (it was just a modified sunhat with a velcro chin strap, and very small brim, so kinda looked like a helmet but was just fabric!)

In the car, he could put his helmet in the trunk to get the 'car hat', and when we got out, he could have the helmet.

Worked for my weirdo kid. Now he just has his own special hook to hang his helmet on, and it has to live there unless he is using it for bike riding or whatever.

Levi went through this too, he was in love with his helmet for a while and never wanted it off!

I ended up making him a 'car hat' that he could only wear in the car (it was just a modified sunhat with a velcro chin strap, and very small brim, so kinda looked like a helmet but was just fabric!)

In the car, he could put his helmet in the trunk to get the 'car hat', and when we got out, he could have the helmet.

Worked for my weirdo kid. Now he just has his own special hook to hang his helmet on, and it has to live there unless he is using it for bike riding or whatever.
this is a great idea! I will have to try it.. Nolan is IMPOSSIBLE to get in the car, I hate it cause I usually end up having to chase him through the car, and grab him and hold him down with one arm while he screams and buckle him.. no matter where we are, every time ect.. he hates the car seat.. (not a phase like we often see, it has been this way forever, he screamed in it as a newborn, and once he could fight me he fought me.. It is just how he is) So it would be nice to have something to bribe him with.. like his cool car helmet.. which is really just a hat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC