I'm still shaken up! (Warning pic may be disturbing.)

zactayaus

My friend and her family are on vacation in Disney.

I just texted her to see how their trip was going.

This is the reply I got:

G- It's good. A's(her almost 3yo ds) face was split open and he got stitches. He is much better now and in time will probably have a minor scarring.

Me- Yikes! How the heck did that happen? I hope he heals quickly and that the rest of your trip is better.

G- He is already healing. It was the second most tough thing I ever experienced with my kids (she has 4). J was tightly strapped in the car seat but B (her 15yo ds) could not find the hook for the tether strap nor did he tell us that. The person in front of us stopped dead after doing 45mph and T (her dh) slammed on the brakes to avoid the accident. A's seat was ejected and flew into a sharp piece on the seat in front. It was the most horrible thing ever.

Me- OMG! My heart just dropped into my stomache reading what you wrote. I just can't even imagine. Please when you guys get back home let me teach B how to make sure A's seat is properly installed. I'm so glad that it wasn't worse and that A is already on the mend.

I immediately called her after that to clarify and get more details. She said it happened on their second day there. They had rented a mini van. A was in the 3rd row next to C (her 4yo dd who was in a booster). The second row seat in front of A was folded down. They believe that at some point C had accidentally unbuckled the seat belt for A's seat and since B hadn't done up the top tether there was nothing at all holding the seat in. A and his seat were thrown forward into the folded down seat in front of him and he took the brunt of the force with his face.:eek:

I told her that I wasn't sure but the seat may need to be replaced. She said the doctor in the emergency room told her the same thing. I told her I would ask here and let her know.

When I was telling my dh and dd (almost 13yo) about it my dd said "What! He was forward facing! You know if he had been RF'ing he probably wouldn't have been hurt at all". I love my dd.:D

Any way here's a pic of her poor little man (I do have permission to post):

Jesse2.jpg

She said to please tell everyone to make sure that their car seat is buckled in every single time you put your kid in the car as it could have been so much worse had they actually hit the car in front of them.

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Aw, poor baby! :(

Tell your friend thank you for sharing the picture and her story - it's a good reminder to always make sure your seat is buckled or LATCHed in.

miraclebabies

Omg... That's so sad and scary!! Poor little one, tell her thx for sharing her story and the picture. Hope it will help others to make sure eevryones buckled properly. Prayers to them

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
So glad everyone is relatively ok!!

The seat must be replaced. There was a collision from 45 mph (the crash bench is 30 mph) and injuries. That meets no one's criteria for reuse.

Wendy

zactayaus

So glad everyone is relatively ok!!

The seat must be replaced. There was a collision from 45 mph (the crash bench is 30 mph) and injuries. That meets no one's criteria for reuse.

Wendy

Thank you Wendy. That's what I figured but I wasn't sure because the seat wasn't actually buckled in so no stress from the belt or latch. I will let her know tomorrow.

HEVY

Thank God that's all that happened. I'm going to check DD's seat tommorrow, she's having trouble buckling the booster, have to make sure she didn't fiddle with the other buckle.

stephcali

Oh my how scary! Just yesterday my 4 year old unbuckled the seatbelt on her Frontier (after we were home and she was getting out of the car). Thank goodess she told me or I might not have noticed and ended up with a similar situation! (It did have the top tether attached, but she weighs 50lbs so that may have not made a difference in this type of situation). I now know (even more having seen this) to check it every single time to make sure it is still installed properly. I hope he heals quickly!

twinsmom

Oh my god poor baby! I'm so glad it wasn't worse. What a good reminder - I never think to check my seats. I definitely will now.

Keeanh

Oh, poor baby!! I hope he heals up well.

I've had several "discussions" with my older kids about letting me know if anything is wrong with any of the little ones' seats. They want to help with buckling, and putting the infant seat in the base. But at the same time, I find mistakes nearly every time (harness loose, bucket not fully clipped in, chest clips low, etc.) so that I'd rather do it myself and not worry about missing something.

susanx4

oh wow! glad he is going to be ok!

When dd1 was 4 or 5 we had to brake hard for a deer in the road, and her seat ( nextstep) slammed into the back of the drivers seat! turns out that she wanted to stay at papa's house and had unbuckled her seat the day before 90 miles away from home.... which meant i drove that 90 miles home and then around town that next day with her seat un-buckled... it was in my 84 astro van which had lap only belts and they buckled to the out side not the inside to you couldn't see the buckle once the seat was in.... thankfully she was not hurt, but she has buckled her seat belt every time since!

christineka

Wow, how scary! There have been a few times I've driven without the car seats attached to the car. Once I braked hard (from 35 mph) and ds slammed into the seat in front. That time dh had removed the seat and just set it in the van. Now he knows to either bring the seats in the house or lay them down in the van. There have been other times when a booster kid (dd1) has unbuckled the seat and not said anything.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC