I just saw the worst OnStar commercial...

beebear23

Senior Community Member
They're showing all these 'great' things OnStar can help with(ftr, I hate onstar) and then they show a dad in a sedan w/a baby in an infant seat(that looks like it might be FF) and the baby is crying. He also has NO STRAPS ON.

Ugh.. Has anyone seen this?

ADS

Melizerd

OMG I saw this. I have to say I'm not usually anal about commercials but I noticed this one. Even my DH said, there's no way that kid is a year old.

cpsaddict

I saw an OnStar commercial, but it looked there were straps, but no chest clip. It also looked like they were just laying there. I do think it was installed ff. I was thinking, "lovely, that just looks WRONG!"

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
They're showing all these 'great' things OnStar can help with(ftr, I hate onstar) and then they show a dad in a sedan w/a baby in an infant seat(that looks like it might be FF) and the baby is crying. He also has NO STRAPS ON.

Ugh.. Has anyone seen this?

I agree it's not a great commerical with the carseat misuse. But, As an owner of a GM vehicle that has OnStar. I will never own another vehicle that doesn't have OnStar or equivlent of it ever again.

In Nov '05 I was in a serious passenger side impact accident with my youngest dd in a '06 Chevy Equinox (dealer loaner vehicle) as my Tahoe was in for routine maintance. A gentleman ran a 4 way stop sign in a residental neighborhood doing roughly 40mphs (from what the police report stated) on a street that has a posted 25mph speed limit. This is at the corner where an elementary school is located.

Before I could even figure out what had happened OnStar was on the vehicle in car phone with me and had already dispatched emergancy vehicle to our location. I am not kidding within 30 seconds to 1min from the accident happening. They stayed on the phone with me until the EMS arrived. We were lucky that EMS station was just 1 mile down the road so they were there quickly. Neither my dd or I were seriously hurt but both of us were transported to the hospital to be checked over. But, That right there sealed the deal for both dh & I.

I don't understand why someone would dislike a service that is just trying to help families out esp when a serious need might arise. What if someone was in a single vehicle accident and was seriously hurt and couldn't find their cell phone or didn't have one and it was late at night or on a back road.

JaRylan

I agree it's not a great commerical with the carseat misuse. But, As an owner of a GM vehicle that has OnStar. I will never own another vehicle that doesn't have OnStar or equivlent of it ever again.

In Nov '05 I was in a serious passenger side impact accident with my youngest dd in a '06 Chevy Equinox (dealer loaner vehicle) as my Tahoe was in for routine maintance. A gentleman ran a 4 way stop sign in a residental neighborhood doing roughly 40mphs (from what the police report stated) on a street that has a posted 25mph speed limit. This is at the corner where an elementary school is located.

Before I could even figure out what had happened OnStar was on the vehicle in car phone with me and had already dispatched emergancy vehicle to our location. I am not kidding within 30 seconds to 1min from the accident happening. They stayed on the phone with me until the EMS arrived. We were lucky that EMS station was just 1 mile down the road so they were there quickly. Neither my dd or I were seriously hurt but both of us were transported to the hospital to be checked over. But, That right there sealed the deal for both dh & I.

I don't understand why someone would dislike a service that is just trying to help families out esp when a serious need might arise. What if someone was in a single vehicle accident and was seriously hurt and couldn't find their cell phone or didn't have one and it was late at night or on a back road.

Wow, I don't have a vehicle with onstar so I've never paid much attention to what all the features are.

cpsaddict

Some of my family has Onstar and they love it. I think that would be one BIG reason for me to get a GM vehicle. I am really rural and the fire department is already a ways away, so Onstar may get them there faster. ANYTHING is better than EMS arriving TEN minutes later. :eek:

beebear23

Senior Community Member
b/c I hate the fact that some unknown person somewhere can unlock my car. Or they can know exactly where I am. Or what I'm doing...
I'm in a rural area also, but that doesn't make me want Onstar anymore than it did when I lived in town.

I'm glad it helps people, but I don't want it and I don't like it and I don't ever plan to buy a vehicle that has it. We search through what seemed like hundreds of vehicles to find one that did not have it.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
b/c I hate the fact that some unknown person somewhere can unlock my car. Or they can know exactly where I am. Or what I'm doing...
I'm in a rural area also, but that doesn't make me want Onstar anymore than it did when I lived in town.

I'm glad it helps people, but I don't want it and I don't like it and I don't ever plan to buy a vehicle that has it. We search through what seemed like hundreds of vehicles to find one that did not have it.

Well hate is a strong word to use for a service that you have never used.

Have you ever been in a situation where it could come in handy? I hope you never have to experiance such a situation but when the time does arrive you might wish you had it. All the service is there to help you not hinder you in anyway.

They aren't out to get you in anyway. Yes, They have GPS service on it. But, What if your vehicle is stolen or you are car jacked or even worse kidnapped. Wouldn't you want the police to be able to locate you?

What if you accidentaly locked your child in the car with the keys on a hot summer day? Trust me it happens to thousands of parents (I have been one). Wouldn't you want to be able to call someone and have your doors open & getting to your child before EMS or help gets there?

They don't know what you are doing. They just know where the vehicle is located. They are not watching your every single move all day long. They are just there to help you in your time of need or even someone elses time of need. I have helped a couple other motorist when I was a witness to an accident in a city I was unfamilier with. I was able to call OnStar and they got help right to the location.

All I am trying to say it's a great service but lets not use strong words for something you are not familiar with.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I think it's a nice feature but I don't insist on it in any of our future cars. Given the choice between a vehicle with On Star and a model without it, I would base the decision more on crash tests and safety features like side curtain airbags and stability control to help prevent a crash and or injury in a crash in the first place. :twocents:

lovinwaves

We search through what seemed like hundreds of vehicles to find one that did not have it.

It was my understanding that just because a vehicle is equipped with ONstar doesn't mean to you have to pay for the service? Meaning, the equipment is there, but you don't have to use it.

For instance, my van has XM satellite radio, but DH and I do not pay for the monthly service to use it. However, if we ever in the future decide we want it we can just call them up to activate it.

beebear23

Senior Community Member
It was my understanding that just because a vehicle is equipped with ONstar doesn't mean to you have to pay for the service? Meaning, the equipment is there, but you don't have to use it.

Yes, but you pay a lot more for it. Why pay to have it equipped if I'm never going to use it..

What if you accidentaly locked your child in the car with the keys on a hot summer day? Trust me it happens to thousands of parents (I have been one). Wouldn't you want to be able to call someone and have your doors open & getting to your child before EMS or help gets there?

Yes, I have done that. In our Ford Ranger. In 90-degree heat in CA. It took 10-15 min. for the fire dept. to show up and get my son out. Yes, it was horrible.

Doesn't mean I want to pay for Onstart though..

That's my opinion. If you don't like it, that's okay. But don't jump all over me b/c of it. OKAY!

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I think it's a nice feature but I don't insist on it in any of our future cars. Given the choice between a vehicle with On Star and a model without it, I would base the decision more on crash tests and safety features like side curtain airbags and stability control to help prevent a crash and or injury in a crash in the first place. :twocents:

While I agree with looking at crash data on any vehicle I purchese in the future. But, I will by only a vehicle equiped with OnStar or a service of it's kind but with the advanced safety features and good crash ratings. For ex: the new GM cross over (Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave).

beebear23

Senior Community Member
Well, considering we spent WAY less $$ on a cheaper truck that did not have onstar, I'd say that they jack up the MSRP on the vehicle to make it 'standard'.

And some of us buy what we can afford w/o going into debt up to our eyeballs.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Well, considering we spent WAY less $$ on a cheaper truck that did not have onstar, I'd say that they jack up the MSRP on the vehicle to make it 'standard'.

And some of us buy what we can afford w/o going into debt up to our eyeballs.

WAHOOO!!!! Calm down no one is asking you to go into debt for your vehicle. But as of '07 models having the OnStar option deleted only saves you $200 when the system used to only be a $1000 option.

I am not on your case. I just merely stated hate is a harsh word for a system that is actually a good system. I can understand wanting to save money when buying a new vehicle. I am all for that. All I am stating is don't be harsh on a system until you fully know all about it & it's safety features.

beebear23

Senior Community Member
Sorry. I'm in a bad mood and don't give a rats a$$ about anything like this right now..

And all the trucks w/onstar were more than we could afford.

southpawboston

i tend to agree with jen-nah on this one, i think it's a neat idea and can definitely come in handy if needed. it's a great alternative to a cell phone, and the ability of the onstar call handlers to unlock your car remotely is the shiznit, no doubt! i'm normally somewhat of a privacy fanatic but i have no problem with this and don't see it as an invasion of privacy at all. all the "eyes in the sky" already know exactly where 90% of us are because our cell phones all have GPS :rolleyes: . this is becoming a fact of life, and we just have to deal with it.

jen-nah, were they on the phone with you automatically after the crash? or did you have to call them by pressing a button? did onstar sense the impact and make the call? if so, then that's pretty smart... in the event the driver and/or passengers are all unconscious, the call is already made.

would i spend a one-time price of $200 for this feature? probably... but i don't think i would pay a monthly service fee for it. you're saying there's no longer a monthly fee for having onstar active? hmm... the malibu maxx just got a bit more attractive... ;)

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
i tend to agree with jen-nah on this one, i think it's a neat idea and can definitely come in handy if needed. it's a great alternative to a cell phone, and the ability of the onstar call handlers to unlock your car remotely is the shiznit, no doubt! i'm normally somewhat of a privacy fanatic but i have no problem with this and don't see it as an invasion of privacy at all. all the "eyes in the sky" already know exactly where 90% of us are because our cell phones all have GPS :rolleyes: . this is becoming a fact of life, and we just have to deal with it.

jen-nah, were they on the phone with you automatically after the crash? or did you have to call them by pressing a button? did onstar sense the impact and make the call? if so, then that's pretty smart... in the event the driver and/or passengers are all unconscious, the call is already made.

would i spend a one-time price of $200 for this feature? probably... but i don't think i would pay a monthly service fee for it. you're saying there's no longer a monthly fee for having onstar active? hmm... the malibu maxx just got a bit more attractive... ;)

Yes, They called me as they detected airbag deployment. They had already dispatched EMS for me too.

The 1st year of service is free when buying any GM vehicle but after the 1st year there is a monthly service fee of $16.95. They have higher packages as you can also use the service as a navigation unit with out having to buy the optional navigation system. There is also all other kinds of service they offer too.

With the $16.95 mth package I get:
Vehicle Diagnostics- so if my check engine light comes on I can all them to find out if it's a serious issue or I just didn't tighten my gas cap enough- (done that one before)
Automatice Notification of Airbag Deployment- this is the main reason why I have it
Emergancy Services- I am able to help others in an emergancy which I have used in the past.
Crisis Assist- during severe weather, natural disaster or other crisis events you are able to get add'l help.
Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance
Remote Door Unlock- I have had to use this when older dd locked my keys in my truck at Target. Wish I had it on my VW when I accidental locked them my Passat. I had to call FD to break my window out.
Access to Hands Free Calling- You do get a set of free minutes when you first buy the vehicle after that if you have Verizon Wireless you can link them together (I have Cingular so I just purchesed a small alotment of minutes to use in emergancy only).
Roadside Assistance
Accident Assistance
Remote Horn & Lights- if you forgot where you parked your vehicle in a crowed parking lot.
Vitual Advisor- You can get local traffic, weather & stock quotes.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC