new chrysler minivan with rear facing second row!

mjslate

I just saw (online) the new 08 chrysler minivan coming out in the fall. the second row of seats can be swiveled to be rear facing! From what I understand this is a real safety advantage, right? I have a 2.5 yo son in a ff marathon...could I install it so that he is ff in the seat but rf?...wouldn't this be a huge safety advantage?

ADS

southpawboston

in theory, it sounds great, but carseats are not allowed to be secured to RFing vehicle seats. they must be secured with the vehicle seats facing forward.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Do you think this might change with the newer vehicles? If not can you use those seats but in a FF position :confused:

all together ooky

I still think it would be nice to have Chrysler test carseats in those seats (with the manufacturers approval). It'd be a great incentive to buying that minivan if they could....

How does it stress the carseats "in the wrong direction"? How is it different?

all together ooky

Do you think this might change with the newer vehicles? If not can you use those seats but in a FF position :confused:

Yes, I'm sure you can put carseats in those seats as long as the vehicle seat is facing forward.

I still don't understand why it wouldn't work with a carseat (as long as it's been tested safe) since those seats are made to withstand an adult riding backwards.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
We just have to wait for NHTSA to require carseat makers to use a rearfacing test bench and allow seats to be installed rearward. It might happen by the time we have grandkids, if enough cars start having reaward facing seats...? Till then, nope, can't do it, may not be dangerous, but I don't want my kid to be the crash test dummy. I'll put my older post-booster kids in those rearward facing seats with joy in my heart, however :D

mominabigtruck

I just saw the commercial for these and I thought that would be so great. All these rules now, who here remembers riding in the back of a big station wagon with a whole bunch of kids totally unrestrained while our parents completly ignored us?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC