Despite what they say, this still doesn't look safe to me

ADS

christineka

They are wrapped around the harness, changing the harness tightness and where the harness lies. Nope, not safe. I'd like to know how they were crash tested.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
OMG I can't believe they have a Safekids van on there, implying endorsement. :thumbsdown: They are aftermarket products, not necessary (what prevents newborn head slump? PROPER RECLINE!) and, not allowed, don't look terribly safe. Not cool.

Cilia

And WTF is up with that SAfe Kids van in the pictures? Do they want the product to appear more safe by having it there? Is the product approved by Safe Kids (which I doubt) or what?

luckyclov

They were probably crash tested the same way I crash test my water balloons.:rolleyes:

They're an aftermarket product and have not been tested with the seat by the manufacturer(s). And to top it all off, they're wrapped around the harness straps, potentially compromising proper fit. Nope, not safe.

Why can't people just roll a thin receiving blanket for head support?

canadiangie

Yikes, in some of those pics the product looks like it's forcing the harness straps to splay off a bit, towards the edge of the shoulders. People don't realize how important those straps sitting flat and high up on the shoulder is. They think baby ejects into the harness. They don't realize baby ejects UP (ramping) and out of the top of the seat. Having straps partially splayed off the shoulders can lead to excessive ramping, partial ejection, or total ejection in a collision.

robbertbobbert

I sent them an email. They blatantly say "Any device that goes in between baby and car seat may compromise the effectiveness of the harness system in the event of a crash." Yeah... so how is your device different?

Kat_Momof3

I wouldn't use them... I'd recommend NOT to (now in a stroller, swing, that sort of item, that's a whole other beast and I'm sure they're fine... but not in the carseat that has to save my baby's life.

msg221

I just went back on that site and I see that every pattern but one has sold out. That's scary!

msg221

Go to the Baby Half Off FB page - there is quite the debate going on there about the safety of these, including a lengthy reply by Snugzee.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I've seen them. (I used to have a fitting station at a baby store. There's not a lot of aftermarket stuff I haven't tried out). The strap cover part is actually really thin. There's no more fabric between the babies shoulder and the harness than a a good quality t-shirt. That being said, they mess up the fit horribly because the poofy thing on top won't let the harness get close enough to the neck to stay on the babies shoulders reliably. They also don't do a darn thing to help support the head.

robbertbobbert

I got a reply.

"Do you have a SnugZee, or are you basing your opinion on pictures alone?

This product does not go between the baby and the car seat, and the thickness of it is actually less than the thickness of the strap cover pads that come with most convertible car seats. (I'll attach pictures to illustrate) Our product is also half the length of the "manufacturer's" product. I found that when I attached the manufacturer's strap covers to my son's harness, that it was impossible for me to raise his chest buckle as high as it needed to be in order for me properly restrain my child, as per the universal safety guidelines.

As far as the safety testing, the "procedure" to do so was simple: I took my son to my local CPST to have his car seat inspected, with SnugZees in tact (pic attached) and he passed with flying colors. The technician actually made a good point: if my harness straps were too loose, the SnugZee strap cover pads would not stay in place. In other words, our product is not only safe, but is also a good back up method to help ensure that our harness straps are properly tightened. (You can see Jason clapping his hands while the technician signs off in the background, lower right hand corner).

I think it's wonderful that you are so diligent about ensuring the safety and well being of your child. You clearly don't take your job as Mother lightly, and honestly, in my opinion we could use more mothers as safety conscious as yourself. But I'm not interested in a debate, if that's what you're after. If you don't like it, or don't feel that it's safe, then don't buy it. It's simple. :)

I hope that I was able to answer your questions to your satisfaction.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend :)"

So.... having a CPST tell you it is safe is the same as a crash test...?

Kat_Momof3

I would agree with her that it's thin... that that is not the issue people are seeing in the photos... it is the straps being pushed to the side of where they would normally be, which could be dangerous.

are they probably a bit safer than other aftermarket harness pads? sure, probably... but are they as safe as simply waiting to use the manufacturer pads till they fit properly? No.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC