President Bush not wearing seatbelt

ADS

TXDani

Senior Community Member
From reading that article it sounds like he was on his ranch in Texas and was stopped talking to or posing for reporters when he then drove off before putting on his seatbelt. I am picturing him driving up his long dirt driveway sans seatbelt....

lovinwaves

Ok, this thread is not going to go anywhere good.... :thumbsdown: Especially with a comment already being made

skaterbabs

I agree. Regardless of which side of the political fence you're on, the President not wearing a seatbelt doesn't help anyone.

Ali

I don't know where my comment went (it was right under the link when I previewed it), but my frustration is that people in the public eye (politicians, actors, actresses, etc) really need to be aware that others either look up to them or people notice things. People in the public eye should set an example.

The politician in the Northeast who was critically injured while not wearing a seatbelt should have been an eye opener for a lot of people, unfortunately, it wasn't. I still see people (adults and children) not restrained. It frustrates me that something could happen in an instant, but could have been prevented with a few seconds of thought.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I don't know where my comment went (it was right under the link when I previewed it), but my frustration is that people in the public eye (politicians, actors, actresses, etc) really need to be aware that others either look up to them or people notice things. People in the public eye should set an example.

The politician in the Northeast who was critically injured while not wearing a seatbelt should have been an eye opener for a lot of people, unfortunately, it wasn't. I still see people (adults and children) not restrained. It frustrates me that something could happen in an instant, but could have been prevented with a few seconds of thought.

I agree with you that people in the public eye SHOULD set good examples for the rest of us. I am a supporter of ALL people wearing seatbelts ALL the time, even if they are just rolling down their driveways. Personally, I think there is no excuse for not wearing a seatbelt, regardless of speed.

However, I also agree that this thread could become nasty quite quickly.:whistle:

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Please limit your comments on this thread to subjects directly related to vehicle safety. Keep your personal politics (pro or con) out of it. If the thread gets out of hand, we will lock it, but I hope it doesn't come to that.

Connor's Mom

From reading that article it sounds like he was on his ranch in Texas and was stopped talking to or posing for reporters when he then drove off before putting on his seatbelt. I am picturing him driving up his long dirt driveway sans seatbelt....

That is the way I read it as well. I don't see it as an issue on his PRIVATE property.

Simplysomething

You know, I don't know that I ever thought about the president and seat belts
Except fictional presidents...cause I see them in cars. But when ever I think of the president in a vehicle, I imagine him in a slow moving limo with the secret service dudes walking past.

I suppose he doesn't spend his life going 5 mph, huh?

I wonder if he has to buckle up during take off and landing on air force one?

dang, the stuff I never thought about before.

Bah.

ETA: I see safety issues as being safety issues, regardless of where they happen.

southpawboston

That is the way I read it as well. I don't see it as an issue on his PRIVATE property.

from a legal perspective, you're right... i believe seat belt laws only apply to public roads. but in terms of setting an example in the public eye, as everyone else has said, it is poor form for public figures not to use best practice standards.

CRS

Senior Community Member
from a legal perspective, you're right... i believe seat belt laws only apply to public roads. but in terms of setting an example in the public eye, as everyone else has said, it is poor form for public figures not to use best practice standards.

:yeahthat: ITA!

TheRealMacGyver

"When I become President I promise that I will always wear my seatbelt, so vote for me!"

Not sure this campaign promise would win an election.

I have a lot of thoughts here, but I'll keep them to myself out of respect to this board. ;)

lovemyfamily

We own a 53 acre ranch and we have 2 gates that have to be opened and closed by someone in our vehicle, when we come and go, to keep our horses in. That someone is usually me, so I don't buckle up until we are through the gates, it is a dirt road and about a mile long. I picture it being something more like this, not George driving down the interstate without his seatbelt on.

southpawboston

i used to work on a 98 acre farm (it's still in the family), mostly pruning and felling trees along trails, and i never wore a seatbelt. i don't know if i would if i were still doing that sort of work... i mean, get in truck, crawl 50 feet, stop. in and out. that sort of thing.

On top of the farm/ranch life & slow driving (yeah,yeah accidents can happen anywhere), who says he didn't buckle 10 seconds later? Those photographers are relentless and dying to find something to make him or anyone else popular look like a moron. I've driven off while buckling before...gasp...glad no one took a pic. Not saying maybe he shouldn't be buckled...but goodness gracious, are we all perfect here?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC