Question Using lap belts

mlohry

My kids are brought to and from school everyday, by myself. I constantly see things that I cringe at every single day. The thing I see the most are 3 kids in the backseat of a car, with only lap belts in the middle. Obviously I know this is horribly dangerous for a kid, but if someone would ask me, would never happen. Who is the best to put in a lap belt, oldest, youngest, doesn't matter at all. I was just thinking of maturation of hip bones.

My DS has a classic car that only has lap belts, he uses one, but is obviously grown. We know it's not ideal for him, but try to convince him not to drive his baby... Thankfully it's only for a few short, summer months a few times a week. Our boys use 86Y harnesses in the car. I only go in it maybe once a year, it's the boys' car! :)

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I try to get the oldest to be the one in the lapbelt, if there's no other choice (like, putting a carseat in that spot).... larger, stronger hipbones, and proportionately smaller head, so less overall risk of serious abdominal or head injury.
Not that anyone even in my own family believes me, because it's always been 'put the littlest in the middle' as the rule of thumb and no one remembers not to do that in our one family lapbelt spot (a 91 Explorer the kids have been in about 5 times in 8 years...).

What's really disturbing is when people don't tighten the lapbelt...I've seen kids come into checks and the lapbelt is just flopping loose :(

Pixels

Julie, wouldn't the longer torso of a bigger child mean that they are at more risk of serious head injury, because they are more likely to reach to hit the vehicle interior?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Julie, wouldn't the longer torso of a bigger child mean that they are at more risk of serious head injury, because they are more likely to reach to hit the vehicle interior?

All I can find is this old NHTSA study based on FARS data... "Back seat lap belts reduce the risk of head injuries while increasing the risk of abdominal injuries in potentially fatal frontal crashes" and "Children ages 5-14 appear to derive the greatest incremental benefit from using back seat lap/shoulder belts rather than just a lap belt. The incremental effectiveness of lap/shoulder belts is 26 percent for children."
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/regrev/evaluate/808945.html

I suppose being taller could lead to increased risk of hitting the front seatbacks (thinking only of cars that have lapbelts in the center, not pre-1989 cars with all lapbelts), but it doesn't really appear to be the case, though my presumption about relative head size may indeed be wrong, the results are the same :)

mlohry

Good info, thanks! Basically we all know, no one should use a lap belt. With of course the exception of my hubby who would act like a toddler if I told him he couldn't drive his baby anymore!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC