Finding Out When New Cars Will Be Tested?

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Can anyone tell me how (or if) I can find out when a new car will be crash-tested?

Also, if a car has been tested in another country, how can I find the results of those tests (aside from the car manufacturer's website?)

(We're considering the new Mazda5, and it's working for us in every way except that it hasn't been crash-tested in the U.S. yet. None of the salespeople were able to tell me how long I'll have to wait for that, and I haven't been able to find out online.)

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
In the past, I have emailed NHTSA and IIHS at the addresses on their websites, asking when a model will be tested. I'd say about half the time I get a response and they usually give me a rough estimate or tell me that the model is not due for testing this year.

southpawboston

Also, if a car has been tested in another country, how can I find the results of those tests (aside from the car manufacturer's website?)

you can go to the EU's version of NHTSA/IIHS, called euroNCAP, at euroncap.com. they tested the euro-spec mazda5 and it earned top ratings (it also earned top ratings in japanese NCAP, but i don't have the internet link to the english version of japNCAP).

however, there can be differences in seatbelt design, airbag deployment software settings, and possibly even minor structural supplements in different markets, designed to make the vehicle perform well within the very narrow crash test settings of that particular market. so, a top rated car in euroNCAP may not necessarily be a top performer in NHTSA/IIHS testing, and vice versa.

still, it can be useful data and in general, the top performers in one country are usually top performers in other markets.

southpawboston

i don't think NHTSA or IIHS tests their vehicles with any seats out of the "standard" position. they also don't crash test the second or third rows, IIRC... but i could be wrong.

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
I have a Mazda 5 and we were content with the European crash test ratings (which were quite good). I'll definitely check out the US ratings when they are done, but it didn't deter us from buying the car.

I LOVE my car!

Defrost

Thanks for all the info! I appreciate the replies, it really helps.

Namegirl, have you had any trouble with carseat installations? We'll just be using a Husky and two (possibly one) Turboboosters, and I intend to try out the Husky in the car before buying, of course. I'm slightly annoyed that it doesn't have LATCH in all four rear-seating positions as that would give us slightly more options, but from what I understand that's typical.

southpawboston

I have a Mazda 5 and we were content with the European crash test ratings (which were quite good). I'll definitely check out the US ratings when they are done, but it didn't deter us from buying the car.

I LOVE my car!

same here; i didn't actually buy a 5 since i opted for the 3 instead, but with both cars getting top ratings in euroNCAP, i wasn't too worried.

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
Namegirl, have you had any trouble with carseat installations? We'll just be using a Husky and two (possibly one) Turboboosters, and I intend to try out the Husky in the car before buying, of course. I'm slightly annoyed that it doesn't have LATCH in all four rear-seating positions as that would give us slightly more options, but from what I understand that's typical.

I've had great success with my carseat installs in all seats, but I've never personally installed a Husky. However, I know a tech from another board with a Mazda 5 and a Regent and she has a great install. Just remember to put the armrest up if you're using the 2nd row. I have removed or reversed the headrests for some installations, but it was no big deal. While there are lower anchors only in the 2nd row, all 4 rear seats do have tether anchors. :thumbsup:

Defrost

I've had great success with my carseat installs in all seats, but I've never personally installed a Husky. However, I know a tech from another board with a Mazda 5 and a Regent and she has a great install. Just remember to put the armrest up if you're using the 2nd row. I have removed or reversed the headrests for some installations, but it was no big deal. While there are lower anchors only in the 2nd row, all 4 rear seats do have tether anchors. :thumbsup:

That's good to hear about your friend's Regent, thanks! Why does the armrest have to be up? I know I've heard that before, but I can't recall why?

I checked for tether anchors and noticed all four had them & was pleased to see at least that. Those poor salespeople, though. They really had no clue. When I mentioned LATCH they just said "Yeah, LATCH is standard, and it's SUCH a great safety feature, Mazda is ALL ABOUT safety!" (as if it wasn't required by law and every other new car in town didn't have standard LATCH as well) but then they didn't know where it was!

I showed up with my friend, who is also a CPST, and we were going ON about the whole deal; how my 11yo son might fit in the back without his booster (he's been complaining), all four tether anchors, where to put the Husky, LATCH it, long-belt it, etc etc! They kept looking at us like we had four heads! What I thought was really sad, though, was that they said they'd "never met" a CPST. They should have them on staff, or at least know how to contact them for their customers! :(

Thanks again for the help!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
i don't think NHTSA or IIHS tests their vehicles with any seats out of the "standard" position. they also don't crash test the second or third rows, IIRC... but i could be wrong.

That is what I am afraid of, so I will have to wait for real world data. The kids will be out of the house by the time that's in!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC