Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Finding Out When New Cars Will Be Tested?

Can anyone tell me how (or if) I can find out when a new car will be crash-tested?

Also, if a car has been tested in another country, how can I find the results of those tests (aside from the car manufacturer's website?)

(We're considering the new Mazda5, and it's working for us in every way except that it hasn't been crash-tested in the U.S. yet. None of the salespeople were able to tell me how long I'll have to wait for that, and I haven't been able to find out online.)
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Finding Out When New Cars Will Be Tested?

In the past, I have emailed NHTSA and IIHS at the addresses on their websites, asking when a model will be tested. I'd say about half the time I get a response and they usually give me a rough estimate or tell me that the model is not due for testing this year.

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    Also, if a car has been tested in another country, how can I find the results of those tests (aside from the car manufacturer's website?)
    you can go to the EU's version of NHTSA/IIHS, called euroNCAP, at euroncap.com. they tested the euro-spec mazda5 and it earned top ratings (it also earned top ratings in japanese NCAP, but i don't have the internet link to the english version of japNCAP).

however, there can be differences in seatbelt design, airbag deployment software settings, and possibly even minor structural supplements in different markets, designed to make the vehicle perform well within the very narrow crash test settings of that particular market. so, a top rated car in euroNCAP may not necessarily be a top performer in NHTSA/IIHS testing, and vice versa.

still, it can be useful data and in general, the top performers in one country are usually top performers in other markets.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

I want to know about the 2008 T&C! Of course, with the seats rear facing!

CPS Fanatic

i don't think NHTSA or IIHS tests their vehicles with any seats out of the "standard" position. they also don't crash test the second or third rows, IIRC... but i could be wrong.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

I have a Mazda 5 and we were content with the European crash test ratings (which were quite good). I'll definitely check out the US ratings when they are done, but it didn't deter us from buying the car.

I LOVE my car!
    Namegirl
    DD in Turbo
    DS in Turbo, Pioneer
    DS in Diono
    DD in Britax B-Safe

Thanks for all the info! I appreciate the replies, it really helps.

Namegirl, have you had any trouble with carseat installations? We'll just be using a Husky and two (possibly one) Turboboosters, and I intend to try out the Husky in the car before buying, of course. I'm slightly annoyed that it doesn't have LATCH in all four rear-seating positions as that would give us slightly more options, but from what I understand that's typical.
    Debbie, CPST-I

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Namegirl View Post
    I have a Mazda 5 and we were content with the European crash test ratings (which were quite good). I'll definitely check out the US ratings when they are done, but it didn't deter us from buying the car.

I LOVE my car!
    same here; i didn't actually buy a 5 since i opted for the 3 instead, but with both cars getting top ratings in euroNCAP, i wasn't too worried.

Namegirl, have you had any trouble with carseat installations? We'll just be using a Husky and two (possibly one) Turboboosters, and I intend to try out the Husky in the car before buying, of course. I'm slightly annoyed that it doesn't have LATCH in all four rear-seating positions as that would give us slightly more options, but from what I understand that's typical.
    I've had great success with my carseat installs in all seats, but I've never personally installed a Husky. However, I know a tech from another board with a Mazda 5 and a Regent and she has a great install. Just remember to put the armrest up if you're using the 2nd row. I have removed or reversed the headrests for some installations, but it was no big deal. While there are lower anchors only in the 2nd row, all 4 rear seats do have tether anchors.
    Namegirl
    DD in Turbo
    DS in Turbo, Pioneer
    DS in Diono
    DD in Britax B-Safe

Quote Originally Posted by Namegirl View Post
    I've had great success with my carseat installs in all seats, but I've never personally installed a Husky. However, I know a tech from another board with a Mazda 5 and a Regent and she has a great install. Just remember to put the armrest up if you're using the 2nd row. I have removed or reversed the headrests for some installations, but it was no big deal. While there are lower anchors only in the 2nd row, all 4 rear seats do have tether anchors.
    That's good to hear about your friend's Regent, thanks! Why does the armrest have to be up? I know I've heard that before, but I can't recall why?

I checked for tether anchors and noticed all four had them & was pleased to see at least that. Those poor salespeople, though. They really had no clue. When I mentioned LATCH they just said "Yeah, LATCH is standard, and it's SUCH a great safety feature, Mazda is ALL ABOUT safety!" (as if it wasn't required by law and every other new car in town didn't have standard LATCH as well) but then they didn't know where it was!

I showed up with my friend, who is also a CPST, and we were going ON about the whole deal; how my 11yo son might fit in the back without his booster (he's been complaining), all four tether anchors, where to put the Husky, LATCH it, long-belt it, etc etc! They kept looking at us like we had four heads! What I thought was really sad, though, was that they said they'd "never met" a CPST. They should have them on staff, or at least know how to contact them for their customers!

Thanks again for the help!
    Debbie, CPST-I

Why does the armrest have to be up?
    I think it's just because the Regent/Husky is so wide! If you can leave it down and fit the seat in, then that's fine. I've just heard that suggested for Regent installs in the 5.
    Namegirl
    DD in Turbo
    DS in Turbo, Pioneer
    DS in Diono
    DD in Britax B-Safe

Quote Originally Posted by southpawboston View Post
    i don't think NHTSA or IIHS tests their vehicles with any seats out of the "standard" position. they also don't crash test the second or third rows, IIRC... but i could be wrong.
    That is what I am afraid of, so I will have to wait for real world data. The kids will be out of the house by the time that's in!