Head rests and child seat in Ford Escape

Stresch

My mom has a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid. On page 158 of the manual, under the heading of Installing Child Safety Seats with combination lap shoulder belts it says "The rear seat head restraints must be removed when using a child seat."

They never say why. We have my daughter's Scenera installed rearfacing using LATCH. I can't figure out what good removing the head restraint in front of her will do. They don't even specify that they mean the particular head rest.

It seems from the pictures that they mean with forward facing seats, and (maybe) only with the belts.

I know someone else has an Escape. What do they mean? And why?

Removing the head rest isn't really a problem, but it's one more thing to have to do.

Thanks

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
That's one of those weird rules I've chosen to ignore about my Escape :D. *as long as* a FF top tether isn't a problem around the headrest... can you imagine for a minute if the top tether is right in the middle of the headrest and the strap has to kind of wrap over or under it? That'd be bad, from a 'stress point' perspective. As long as the headrest isn't interfering with the tether or making the seat install way too upright, I'd leave it on, personally.

cpsaddict

I've also chosen to ignore this rule, unless I can't get a good fit. I have used very few ff seats in my car, so it hasn't been a problem, yet! I can't see the problem when using a rf seat. I'd say leave it! JMO!

southpawboston

i actually removed the headrest behind our RYS, but only because it detracts from our rear visibility. since no adult is seated where the carseat is installed, i see no reason to keep the headrest there.

U

Unregistered

it's for forward facing seats, because it interferes with the tether strap.

There may be an issue with rebounding rear facing seats that places the head rest directly in line with the child's face. Frankly, I would follow the manufacturer's instructions unless the manufacturer provides the reason behind their caution for removing the head rest. Until that information is known, failure to follow the manufacturer's instructions is not making an informed decision which could prove dangerous to a child.

As for forward facing, there may be additional stress placed on the head rest which could cause it to malfuction (read break) creating a loose projectile in the vehicle. Again, unless you know for sure, following the car seat and vehicle manufacturer instructions is the safest, and sometimes the only, way to ride. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC