Old Car Safety?

D

densec

Hello,

My friend has given me a 1989 Honda Accord. I have two daughters a 3.5 yr old and a 6 month old.

Are old cars considered much less safe than new ones?

Thanks for any feedback,

Dennis

ADS

southpawboston

in terms of crashworthiness, yes, there have been *immense* improvements to automobile design in the last 18 years. if you look up crash videos from early 90's cars and compare them with cars from the last few years, you will see that the "safety cage" design of newer cars allows the passenger compartment to retain its shape, rather than buckle. this provides a safe "cage" within which the occupants are protected from intruding structures. then, to complement the function of the safety cage, improvements to seat belt design, as well as the advent of other passive safety features such as airbags, function to protect the occupant from hitting structures *within* the safety cage.

it is quite common for people to walk away from high speed crashes these days with little to no injury; that was nearly impossible in a car from 20 years ago.

scatterbunny

Southpaw is right, but just know that being properly restrained is the most important part of surviving a crash in any vehicle. ;)

I would put your forward-facing 3.5yo in a harnessed seat in the middle and your 6mo in a rear-facing seat outboard, for optimum protection.

skaterbabs

There are ways to make your old car safer. have top tethers installed if you can (I'll look up the numbers for you when I have both hands available). You may want to consider purchasing seats with built-in lockoffs for ease of use. Your seatbelts will not lock, you'll need to use a locking clip otherwise. If you have the ability to do so, you will likely want to purchase seats with side impact protection as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC