Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: Old Car Safety?

densec

Old Car Safety?

Hello,

My friend has given me a 1989 Honda Accord. I have two daughters a 3.5 yr old and a 6 month old.

Are old cars considered much less safe than new ones?

Thanks for any feedback,

Dennis

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Old Car Safety?

in terms of crashworthiness, yes, there have been *immense* improvements to automobile design in the last 18 years. if you look up crash videos from early 90's cars and compare them with cars from the last few years, you will see that the "safety cage" design of newer cars allows the passenger compartment to retain its shape, rather than buckle. this provides a safe "cage" within which the occupants are protected from intruding structures. then, to complement the function of the safety cage, improvements to seat belt design, as well as the advent of other passive safety features such as airbags, function to protect the occupant from hitting structures *within* the safety cage.

it is quite common for people to walk away from high speed crashes these days with little to no injury; that was nearly impossible in a car from 20 years ago.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Southpaw is right, but just know that being properly restrained is the most important part of surviving a crash in any vehicle.

I would put your forward-facing 3.5yo in a harnessed seat in the middle and your 6mo in a rear-facing seat outboard, for optimum protection.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

There are ways to make your old car safer. have top tethers installed if you can (I'll look up the numbers for you when I have both hands available). You may want to consider purchasing seats with built-in lockoffs for ease of use. Your seatbelts will not lock, you'll need to use a locking clip otherwise. If you have the ability to do so, you will likely want to purchase seats with side impact protection as well.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley