Can someone ID this seat?

KaiLing

I found this photo of this rental seat we used in a pinch in a rental car, and was wondering if anyone knew what it was? View attachment 9884

The chest clip is too low and he's nearly at the top, I know. I gritted my teeth the entire 4 hour ride about him being nearly at the top and not having the manual to check (the weight was printed on the seat, the height was not). But the plane was canceled and we had to get back somehow... (Chest clip entirely my fault, of course, though I'd like to blame it on the stuffed cougar if possible).

ADS

Ladyl

Cosco Scenera? He looks like he has plenty of room, a set height in the manual doesn't mean as much as an inch above the head and he has more than that. I'd be more concerned about not knowing the history of the seat.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
He was forward facing? If so, it's not outgrown unless the shoulders are above the top slots or the tops of his ears are at the top of the shell. Looks short enough to be RF with the one inch rule, so no way was he he close to too big FF.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
You're right, I only saw the headrest, not the direction of the seatbelt next to it. Definitely ok :)

hboo22

I used to have a seat like that, got it free from the local Health Dept. for attending a pre-natal class. It's an Evenflo, Tribute I think.......

KaiLing

Evenflo sounds more familiar. It's RF and had a 35 (or above) lbs limit RF, I'm sure. Think Evenflo is possible? I was really worried about it before I saw it, especially since this was with my giant kid before he was 2, but then they handed it to me and I think it's entirely possible it was brand new. No food on it at all, kind of plastic smelly. It didn't look like it had been in a crash! (just kidding). I don't want to do rental car seats again, but this one was surprisingly OK in a pinch.

poohbearkrazy

That's definitely an Evenflo tribute and it's the older model with the 30 pound RF limit. It has the old paper clip style chest clip that Evenflo uses on their program seats. Also I can see that annoying buckle the digs into kids bellies, so it was at least a newer seat

KaiLing

I'm sure it was 35 lbs. This was in September 2010 and my kid topped 30 lbs the January before. The 35 lbs RF limit was what I was so worried about--if it hadn't had 35 lbs RF stamped on it we might have turned around and taken the train home.

I have been accused of taking my new car seat obsession to another level by asking y'all what seat this is after finding this photo on the computer. :)

Rebelnicky04

Yeah thats an Evenflo... I had the Scenara in a similar print but the shell looked different. Definitely not the Cosco.

Baylor

Evenflo sounds more familiar. It's RF and had a 35 (or above) lbs limit RF, I'm sure. Think Evenflo is possible? I was really worried about it before I saw it, especially since this was with my giant kid before he was 2, but then they handed it to me and I think it's entirely possible it was brand new. No food on it at all, kind of plastic smelly. It didn't look like it had been in a crash! (just kidding). I don't want to do rental car seats again, but this one was surprisingly OK in a pinch.

I would never do this. I would go and spend 40.00 at a local walmart and get a good and proper seat and then donate it or bring it home.

Unless you took it apart to inspect it, You have no idea. I have seen some pretty good looking seats that are crashed seats. No one would know unless they were there at the time of the crash. You are relying on someone else's judgment to keep your child safe.

KaiLing

I would never do this. I would go and spend 40.00 at a local walmart and get a good and proper seat and then donate it or bring it home.

Unless you took it apart to inspect it, You have no idea. I have seen some pretty good looking seats that are crashed seats. No one would know unless they were there at the time of the crash. You are relying on someone else's judgment to keep your child safe.

I agree the rental car seat is not the ideal solution. But there's no way a rental car has even a little bump without the rental company knowing--they're pretty thorough. So you're more trusting the company to switch out the seats, rather than a single person (which you would be doing if you bought a seat on craigslist or something--also not the ideal solution, but even being done on this here forum). Do we not trust rental car companies on this for some particular reason? Like, is there a specific issue with rental car companies and car seats not being tossed after crashes? Or are they treating their rental seats so poorly that they're compromised in some other way (like washing the straps, say)?

(I personally couldn't figure out how to get to wal-mart to buy a seat without having a seat, and once I got to a big box store I would have added so much city driving that just getting on the interstate was what I chose.)

Baylor

I agree the rental car seat is not the ideal solution. But there's no way a rental car has even a little bump without the rental company knowing--they're pretty thorough. So you're more trusting the company to switch out the seats, rather than a single person (which you would be doing if you bought a seat on craigslist or something--also not the ideal solution, but even being done on this here forum). Do we not trust rental car companies on this for some particular reason? Like, is there a specific issue with rental car companies and car seats not being tossed after crashes? Or are they treating their rental seats so poorly that they're compromised in some other way (like washing the straps, say)?

(I personally couldn't figure out how to get to wal-mart to buy a seat without having a seat, and once I got to a big box store I would have added so much city driving that just getting on the interstate was what I chose.)

I don't trust rental companies as far as I can throw them. There was just a big investigation about how they don't take cars in for vital recalls. As for their car seats, They could be thrown in the back of a plane and flown where ever they need them. Kept in a warehouse where in the same manner, they could be abused. You think every rental applicant, reports everything? nope..

It is just not a good idea at all. You need to plan ahead better. Travel with your own seat. But I would not take car seats from some of my friends.. let alone from a rental company that knows nothing about car seats and for all you know could have taken it apart, thrown the harness in an industrial washer because the last kid threw up on it.
Just sayin, there are many many better options before this risk.

Last edited:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't have a link right now, but a few years ago a woman wrote a blog post about the deplorable state of rental car car seats which sparked an investigative piece by a San Diego news station.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC