"You can get car seats cheap at the thrift store" says my dad...

KissTheCook

I told him we'd probably be getting a new seat for babygirl because my friend that has the britax seat has a lot of animals in her house and I'm worried the plastic on the seat will have absorbed the smell (Plus I have allergy issues)
That was his answer.
When I told him that you don't know if the seat's been in an accident or anything, he said "Well you can tell if you know what you're looking for...." :eek:

I don't get it. This man would do ANYTHING for his grandkids, and it's not like I was asking HIM to spend the money on a new seat. I don't think he gets car seats. Sigh.
Just wanted to vent about it a little, and I knew everyone here would understand ;)

ADS

southpawboston

the concept of a hard plastic item "expiring" is very foreign and even suspect to older people who grew up with different attitudes toward safety than our kids are growing up with today. it generally takes an open mind for older generations (and even current ones) to understand this.

Loves2sing

No Kidding South Paw! My parents came out with Dh and I to visit my In-laws, and you should have seen the gang up on me, as we were playing cards around the table. All about ERF.:rolleyes:
"You know, when you do "research" on the internet, you are just getting a lot of propaganda"~mil,
"What about the development of her hips Amanda? She is going to walk Bow legged for the rest of her life!"~ my mom

My response?
"It's not propaganda when every where you look is giving you the same info over and over. I have seen crash test videos that PROVE it too!"

"I am not to worried about her hips Mom, because I have her at our chiropractor once a month, and I will continue to take her back there when we come to town, he's already "fixing" her hips for me!":rolleyes:

Some parents will never learn! Just think of what our kids will think when we are telling them what seats they sat in!

skaterbabs

When I told him that you don't know if the seat's been in an accident or anything, he said "Well you can tell if you know what you're looking for...." :eek:

The sad part is that so many people believe that. the truth is, I've seen seats run over by trucks just bounce back like nothing happened.

Simplysomething

My response?
"It's not propaganda when every where you look is giving you the same info over and over. I have seen crash test videos that PROVE it too!"

Didn't you know, now the definition of propaganda is..any information that contridicts whatever the other person is arguing.

ETA: Regarding Becky's post above---whenever they show "Car-seat round ups" on the local news...they show them being run over by steam rollers...and the danged things always pop back into shape!

all together ooky

It's funny how some older people are so much more receptive than others. My dad (probably because I talk about carseats all the time) told me about how he was nervous when he took his ladyfriend's barely 4-year-old grandchild in his car to their cabin. He said "we'll need to put his carseat in here" and they said, "oh it's really easy" (he had a booster). My dad drove really slowly and extra carefully because he didn't like that the seat wasn't attached to the car. I guess he's all for HWH. :whistle:

twokidstwodogs

My parents, though very good about not saying anything, have always been a bit skeptical of my car safety precautions. That is, until a close friend's eight year-old grandson was badly injured in a car accident (side impact, severe head injuries--he will never fully recover.) Now they know exactly what kind of toll it can take on a child and a family. The last time I was visiting them, my father stood with me in the freezing cold as I tried umpteen times to get a good fit with a RF seat. I think he's fully on board now, but what a shame that it took a tragedy to make it come about.

Dragonflymama

My FIL has had to accept my *weird safety obsession*:D after years of wearing him down. When I first met DH, DSS was 18 months old and FIL was buying car seats at garage sales. I was already complaining, even though DH and I were only dating (DH was custodial single parent back then). My ILs have money, but they dont spend it on safety. FILs whole approach to car seats was compliance with laws and ticket-avoidance. He thought I was a nuts to complain about the seats he would bring by for DSS (from garage sales and thrift shops). DSS even had one backless booster that FIL picked up from the curb on trash day :rolleyes: Also, I remember a FP T-shield seat that was "free" from a garage sale. The harness shield buckle was worn out and wouldn't click or anything when it was buckled into the seat. The only sure way to knwo if it was buckled was to pull up on the shield really hard. at least once DSS was riding unrestrained when the shield came out of the buckle. Thankfully he was never in an accident. I shutter to think what could have happened.

Over the years I think all my nagging has wore him down and he now tolerates my insistance in driving my own car when I can and installing DD's car seats in his vehicles myself for the rare occasion that she rides with him. If he knew how much we spend on CRS he would :eek:

Last edited:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I bet you he couldn't figure out if my seat was in a crash! It looks perfect, but the car it was in, was totalled. Through the front seats off the glides, bent the frame, etc.

MsFacetious

Yeah my Dad when I was trying to install the Regents in his truck... said "You can get them installed chelsae, it may not be the approved way but you can find a way to do it. You should just use both ways and then you know it's secure." Meaning latch and the seatbelt.

Yeah.. he isn't allowed to drive my kids! He also wants to retrofit latch in our vehicles because my uncle is a welder. um no thanks.

lovemyfamily

It is hard for parents to understand. My mom doesn't get it, but trusts that I know what I am talking about, and that I am not just spending money on expensive seats but actually am getting them because that is the best there is. But then we are talking about the times when people didn't even have their kids use seatbelts. LOL

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC