Vent just... speechless!!!

Joddle

Yes, I know a lot of people only know the basics (if that) about car seat use.
Yes, I know we know a lot more than most people.
BUT...
Why do people that KNOW the law think they can go against it??? :mad:

I have this "friend" (BF of my best friend) who thinks, because he is an engineer-in-training, he can do absolutely ANY technical/mechanical job, including putting car seats in. He is also a complete know it all that thinks he's all that and more, but let's not go there.

He put one in his brother-in-laws car for his not-yet-born-niece he other day. Wrong belt path, in FF recline (so, at a 0 degree angle!), no ARB in place, tether strap loose so "they can get the baby in. It doesn't matter because it's held there with the front seat".

Oh, it gets better! Without asking the parents, he decided to turn it around "so mum can see the baby". :thumbsdown:

I asked him if he knew the law and reccomenations etc, and he said yes but didn't think the mum would like not being able to see the baby! :mad:

I begged him to please come to my place so I can show him how to do it with the same seat (that I have). We'll see if he actually does.

I spoke to his GF (who's bro and sis-in-law it is) and she understands the importance of it. I think she'll force him to come and let me show him. I really hope she does. I won't sleep otherwise!

ADS

mom2kk

Yikes. Awful. Can you get over there to show him how its done on their seat so at least you know you walked away with it correctly done? I don't see him 'eating crow' and going back over there to correct it even if he does show up to watch you demo it.

Joddle

Well he came over, watched me do mine, had a go at doing mine, then called bubby's dad to tell him not to use it the way it is and to read the manual and turn it around (didn't know "read the manual" was in his vocabulary lol!).
Bubs arrived about 6 hours after all of this, so hopefully they turn it when they leave the hospital! Noone checks the seats before leaving hospital over here. Its a convertible anyway.

henrietta

The world is full of idiots, unfortunately. And just as unfortunate, is that someday his stupidity can and will affect more than just one child. Let's just hope that he doesn't end up working in nuclear power. ;)

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC