Question Britax Advocate 65 CS in an airplane seat?

U

Unregistered

Hi, planning on flying in a few months with our daughter who'll be 21 mo. We have an Advocate 65 CS and are not sure if it'll fit in an economy airline seat. The FAA has a brochure recommending a carseat no wider than 17", and our Advocate probably measures around 21" (based on googling, haven't been out to measure her tonight). Wondering if anyone's flown with this seat and had any trouble either fitting the bottom, or the side impact cushions into an aircraft seat.

Any info'd be much appreciated.

ADS

mommycat

I am not sure how the new Britax seat designs compare, but the older (non-Advocate) convertibles fit OK in airline seats because they sat up higher on a narrower base and the wider part of the seat shell would clear the armrests. I am not so sure as far as the Advocate goes, though, because those SIP cushions might take up too much room to comfortably sit next to. Many airlines require the car seat to be installed next to the window and I am not sure about clearance against the wall. In a center row you can often intsall anywhere but again, the person sitting next to the seat might be left with too little room. I traveled with a classic Marathon and while it was a bit of a squeeze leaving the armrest down it still fit; it did, however, take up the entire back of the airline seat. I could dig up the plane types if needed.

If you are looking to get a great travel seat that is light and easy to lug along, as well as inexpensive, I would look at the Cosco Scenera.

You can see both the classic MA and the Scenera in action, as it were, in my trip "review" here, also includes the CARES and how we lugged the seats through the airport:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=102030

U

Unregistered

Thanks so much, we'll definitely have a look at the Scenera for this trip. I like the sound of a lightweight seat. We're also thinking Radian, but it's a toss-up between super heavy, expensive and will last us longer as her second seat, or lighter, more affordable, not as long lasting. I also worry that the Radian will have to be installed FF on the 'plane and besides the fact that I'd like her RF, it looks so upright, I think she may be uncomfortable if she sleeps. I see that you installed the Scenera RF for the flight...was the install fairly easy? Would we likely have to bring along a towel or pool noodle segment?

Thanks again,
Kate

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC