Keeping RFing kids cool in the summer...suggestions and ideas?

todzwife

DD turns 1 tomorrow *sniff*. I've had several friends who's babies have also turned 1 in the last few months and they have ALL turned them around already, and they asked if I was going to do the same "when you turn her around, what seat are you going to use?"...uh, she's staying RFing until she outgrows her cowmoo Marathon70 RFing thanks.

Anyway, one of the "reasons" is that they are concerned that their babies will "overheat from being backward". Yes, the air doesn't seem to blow RIGHT on her, but she survived summer last year.

BUT I'd love ideas for when people start asking again. Tips for keeping RFing kids cool, other than cranking the air conditioning, because my FFing kids get cold when I do that. LOL!

ADS

Jessica61624

If you blow the middle vents up they go to the back. It doesn't get very hot here and I don't have air either. But I never had an issue with being too hot or too cold.

icnee

I kinda like your answer , She survived last year, so why would this year be any different:confused:

But yes if you point the vents up more air will go to the back.

Also you could try getting those things that go in the window when the car is parked to keep it from getting to hot.

I have my kids rear facing and I have never had a problem with any of the being too hot in the summer, and my vents are on the dash and one under each front seat, and even in the third row there are no complaints. Befroe this van the one I had only had the vents on the dash and there was still no complaints.

My oppinion is that some (not all) people just dont want to have their kids RFing and that is just what they have come up with to justify not leaving the Rfing

msg221

It gets blistering hot here in Phoenix, so I am always looking for ways to keep the kids cool. I do aim the air vents up so the cool air will bounce off the ceiling of the car, onto them.

As for keeping the seats cool, I bought one of those "cool seats" where it has ice packs in it and you keep it in the freezer then take it with you when you go out. You put it in the seat while you're out and it keeps it cool. It does work, but the problem is remembering to get it out of the freezer when we go somewhere!

mykidsmylife

We went through an El Paso summer with Seth rear-facing. He was also having a lot of breathing issues that summer. It was HORRIBLE! We dont have tinted windows or rear-vents in our van so it got hot. It was like 150 or hotter in the van. I would start it up and let the ac kick in and open the rear-windows so the hot air got blown out. I also brought out washcloths wet with cold water and let him hold them and chew on them and do whatever with them. I put some of those gell icepacks between the cover and his sides and brought them in each time. I also pointed the ac vents towards the ceiling and they bounced down and hit him.

He surivied and only hadd issues wiht his breathing once (before I did all these things).

bella_1818

I lived in El Paso for two years while DS was rear facing. I found a car seat cover to use while the vehicle was not in use that helped prevent the seat from getting as hot. It was on amazon and looked like a giant silver shower cap. I also bought a fan with foam blades on Amazon. It ate batteries but we bought rechargeable ones and just changed them out everyday.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I've found that putting a white towel or light colored blanket over the carseat while we weren't in it during the day helped keep the seat cooler when we weren't in the car.

We live in MD and experience all 4 seasons. Our summers are usually hot and humid. Nicholas has been through 2 summers RF'ing and this will be his 3rd.

Susan

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
We live in Oklahoma and have never had a problem. Granted, I have rear air. But dd will be rf'ing in dh's car and he does not have rear air.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC