How important is car seat replacement after minor crash?

KaiLing

I have a friend who still uses a convertible seat that was (unoccupied) in a crash. The crash itself didn't hurt (or even really shake up) the two adults in the front seats, involved a spin out and the side panel of the car being damaged enough that the insurance company called it totaled. I told them to look in their manual to see if it said to replace the seat, but I'm not sure to what extent this is a safety issue I should follow up with them on.

I don't have a single friend who has ever had their car seats checked so I like to keep tabs on everyone's car seat usage like the pushy lady I am. These particular people turned their kid FF before 2 over my (polite) objections because she was demanding it. She's almost 3 now, so no big deal on the FF, but if using this car seat is a real safety problem I'll mention it to them again.

ADS

wavegal

Any seat would need to be replaced since the car was considered totaled and unless it was a britax or Sunshine kids would need to be replaced after any accident

jjordan

The "totaled" designation basically just means that the cost of repairs was more than the car was worth (at least, that is the way I understand it). The NHTSA criteria for a "minor crash" are what Britax (and I think Combi?) go by when determining whether or not a seat needs to be replaced. I *think* that all other convertible seats are required by their manufacturer to be replaced after any crash. (IIRC Sunshine Kids uses the NHTSA critera for the Monterey, but the Radian manuals requires replacement after any crash.)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
jjordan said:
The "totaled" designation basically just means that the cost of repairs was more than the car was worth (at least, that is the way I understand it). The NHTSA criteria for a "minor crash" are what Britax (and I think Combi?) go by when determining whether or not a seat needs to be replaced. I *think* that all other convertible seats are required by their manufacturer to be replaced after any crash. (IIRC Sunshine Kids uses the NHTSA critera for the Monterey, but the Radian manuals requires replacement after any crash.)

Yes totaled means cost of repairs exceed the value of the car. I've had cars that were so old that a scratch in the paint would total it.

KaiLing

I *think* that all other convertible seats are required by their manufacturer to be replaced after any crash. (IIRC Sunshine Kids uses the NHTSA critera for the Monterey, but the Radian manuals requires replacement after any crash.)

So what's at stake if they don't replace but the manual says they should? Safety, or just liability for the car seat company? My sense of it is that the car seat itself wasn't really knocked around much.

Thanks for the NHTSA criteria. That's exactly what I didn't understand.

LM4M

CPST Instructor
So what's at stake if they don't replace but the manual says they should? Safety, or just liability for the car seat company? My sense of it is that the car seat itself wasn't really knocked around much.

Thanks for the NHTSA criteria. That's exactly what I didn't understand.

The car seat company would not be liable if the owner did not follow their replacement requirements. The parents would be the one to bear the burden of an injured child after using a crashed seat. The seat can have stress on the plastic and/or harnesses and latch straps/hooks after even a minor crash, causing the seat to fail in the next crash that has a child in it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC