WWYD?? Delima with tethers.

Mommy2Marcus

So, I went to the dealership to get 3 top tether anchors installed today. However I left without any top tethers. :( Apparently my car does not have the proper holes drilled for them & the manager at the dealership did not feel comfortable drilling them himself. So now I have a new car that I absolutly LOVE, but am unable to feel like my child is 100% safe in.

We're not sure if there is any way for me to have them done either. He even spent 45 minutes on the phone with the rep at Chrysler/Dodge & they could not figure it out either. The back of my car looked nothing like it was supposed to according to their directions. So I am quite understandably upset about it. But, I understand why they manager did not feel comfortable with it. He just wanted to make sure that he knew he was doing the right thing.

So, my question is, WWYD? How would you feel about this? Unfortunatly getting another car is not an option at all. For right now I have him in the middle in a Nautilus Elite.

I also found out that there are also 2 other recalls on the car. It is for the 2 front seat belt retractors & the recliner seat bolts on the front seats. Nothing with the back seats. They did not have the parts on hand, so they ordered them. I will get a call & set up an appointment when they get them in.

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
were they able to figure out why it didnt look like it as supposed to? is it possible your car is a different year than you were led to believe? I guess, ok i can accept if they wouldn't do it without things lining up how they were supposed to, but id wanna know WHY?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Option A1: Continue to figure out how to get those tethers installed, maybe call another dealer. If it's impossible, then move on to...

A2: Look into getting some heavy-duty TAs (Ez-On?) installed by somebody who knows. (Judi may have some advice -- I know next to nothing about them.)

-or-

Option B: RF in a Radian for another year (sell/trade the Nautilus for it?) and then go to booster around 5.5 or so... (He might even make it in a 40lb seat, but 45 you'd have enough time to get him to booster maturity.)

Option C: Use the GNE untethered in the center, know that it has good excursion numbers, there's no seat in front of him, and you're doing the absolute best you can do given your circumstances.

Sorry this is happening with your new car, I know how excited you've been about it. :(

Mommy2Marcus

were they able to figure out why it didnt look like it as supposed to? is it possible your car is a different year than you were led to believe? I guess, ok i can accept if they wouldn't do it without things lining up how they were supposed to, but id wanna know WHY?

No, they were not really able to figure out why it did not look like it was supposed to. They said that it could just be a 1st generation of the car & it was not set up properly to get them. I know it is not a different year than what I thought. It is for sure a 1999 as the tital & the vin come back with that. I also really really want to know WHY. The manager said he would do some more digging on it for me, so I hope he can come up with something.

Option A1: Continue to figure out how to get those tethers installed, maybe call another dealer. If it's impossible, then move on to...

A2: Look into getting some heavy-duty TAs (Ez-On?) installed by somebody who knows. (Judi may have some advice -- I know next to nothing about them.)

-or-

Option B: RF in a Radian for another year (sell/trade the Nautilus for it?) and then go to booster around 5.5 or so... (He might even make it in a 40lb seat, but 45 you'd have enough time to get him to booster maturity.)

Option C: Use the GNE untethered in the center, know that it has good excursion numbers, there's no seat in front of him, and you're doing the absolute best you can do given your circumstances.

Sorry this is happening with your new car, I know how excited you've been about it. :(

TY! I am not going to 100% give up on the tethers for now. I am going to try everything in my power to get it figured out & get some installed. Then if I can absolutly not get it figured out I am going to see about some sort of heavy duty tethers. I would like to be able to keep him harnessed till about 6.

As for putting him back RF, I am not really wanting to do that. Also it would have to be a Radian with a 45lb weight limit as he is around 36-38lbs depending on the day & what he is wearing.

In the end I may have to go with just keeping him in the Nautilus Elite un-tethered in the center as much as I hate it. :( Sigh. I :love: my new car with the exception of this problem.

TerisBoys

Is the 99 the same body style as the 98? If it's an early 99 model, maybe the 98 diagram will line up better?

For that matter, did they have the right trim level for your car (if different trim levels exist)? I know with Caravans, there's different layouts for tethers depending on wheelbase and such.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
As for putting him back RF, I am not really wanting to do that. Also it would have to be a Radian with a 45lb weight limit as he is around 36-38lbs depending on the day & what he is wearing.

In the end I may have to go with just keeping him in the Nautilus Elite un-tethered in the center as much as I hate it. :( Sigh. I :love: my new car with the exception of this problem.

Yeah, I didn't figure it would be your first choice. But, if it's really wigging you out to have him FF untethered, and since he's not booster-ready, then it would be a viable option. I'm totally comfortable with a FFing tethered 4yo and agree that RF is not necessary at that age, but untethered, meh, that leans more towards parental decision. So I just wanted to point out that you do have another option, other than just leaving him untethered.

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
but the dealership should have a repair/service manual on the vehicle and it would show exactly where the go. My 98 jeep had the diagram in the owners manual of where it was to go.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
but the dealership should have a repair/service manual on the vehicle and it would show exactly where the go. My 98 jeep had the diagram in the owners manual of where it was to go.

I *think* from what she said, that the shop DOES has the manual, and WAS willing to give her her tethers, but the problem is that when they went to actually DO the work, her car simply does NOT match up with the diagrams in the manual. that is what you are saying, right OP??

NannyMom

Can you post pictures of the top and bottom of your filler panel (that shelf where the tethers should go)? I checked your new car thread, and there were none.

Mommy2Marcus

I *think* from what she said, that the shop DOES has the manual, and WAS willing to give her her tethers, but the problem is that when they went to actually DO the work, her car simply does NOT match up with the diagrams in the manual. that is what you are saying, right OP??

Jess, you have it right. They ordered the parts, but when they went to put them in the diagram that came with the parts did not match what my car looked like. They were willing to do the work, but could not figure out where they were actually supposed to go b/c their diagram did not match. So the manager was not willing to drill holes when he was not sure if that was the right thing to do. His feeling was that he wanted to make sure he did it right so that my child was safe.

wow thats weird sorry if i misunderstood :(

Yes, it was all very weird. I was so upset, as was the manager. He appologized countless times to me about it.

Can you post pictures of the top and bottom of your filler panel (that shelf where the tethers should go)? I checked your new car thread, and there were none.

I will try to get those pictures tomorrow or Saturday. There are no pre-drilled holes for them in the rear filler panel at all. :( I really hope I can get this all figured out soon.

Mommy2Marcus

Is the 99 the same body style as the 98? If it's an early 99 model, maybe the 98 diagram will line up better?

For that matter, did they have the right trim level for your car (if different trim levels exist)? I know with Caravans, there's different layouts for tethers depending on wheelbase and such.

I am not 100% sure if they're the same or not. I will call the manager back tomorrow & see what he says. That is a good idea to check the 98 to see if it matches better with it.

I am also not sure about the different trim levels. I know the diagram he had showed a 2nd brake light in the back window, but my car does not have one. It also showed holes for access to speaker wires & mine did not have those either. It was weird for sure.

As I said above, I will call the manager back tomorrow & talk to him about it. Maybe he can see if there are different trim levels or if the 98 model may match mine better.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I am not 100% sure if they're the same or not. I will call the manager back tomorrow & see what he says. That is a good idea to check the 98 to see if it matches better with it.

As I said above, I will call the manager back tomorrow & talk to him about it. Maybe he can see if there are different trim levels or if the 98 model may match mine better.

I just wanted to say that this is a GREAT idea. I was going to mention it actually, but wanted to confer with dh first to make sure i had my facts straight. He/we own a car that is a 1998 model...on the title, the vin, even manufacture date...BUT..it's a 97 in reality. They used 97 parts, and put it together like a 97. When we go to buy replacement parts and stuff, we have to get them for the 97 model, because there were big changes between 97 and 98, and our car is definitely a 97 model in reality, even though it is a 98. Does that make sense? lol.

Mommy2Marcus

I just wanted to say that this is a GREAT idea. I was going to mention it actually, but wanted to confer with dh first to make sure i had my facts straight. He/we own a car that is a 1998 model...on the title, the vin, even manufacture date...BUT..it's a 97 in reality. They used 97 parts, and put it together like a 97. When we go to buy replacement parts and stuff, we have to get them for the 97 model, because there were big changes between 97 and 98, and our car is definitely a 97 model in reality, even though it is a 98. Does that make sense? lol.

WOW, :eek: that is NUTS! Maybe that is the case here though. I do remember looking in the door the other day & the DOM of the car is 1/99. BUT you never know. I really hope that maybe this is the case & they can put the anchors in the 98 diagram. Cross your fingers for me.

TerisBoys

I will try to get those pictures tomorrow or Saturday. There are no pre-drilled holes for them in the rear filler panel at all. :( I really hope I can get this all figured out soon.

They may not show from the top, but often there ARE holes and/or weld-nuts in the frame underneath. And they're pretty obvious if it's a weld nut (nut welded to the frame with no corresponding bolt). You just have to pop something through the carpet/cardboard and the rest is easy.

Another thought would be to find an 02 or newer with factory installed anchors to look at just to get an idea of the general area you/they should be looking at for holes/weld-nuts.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants

Yes, my Kia Optima was made 05/2006 and was sold/registered/titled as a 2006 model, but my husband (who does much of the maintenance work) has a 2005 shop manual and a 2006 shop manual and he swears ours matches the 2005 model.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC