PFD's (personal floatation device) . . .

ADS

ThreeBeans

I believe the fat ring around my middle is probably permanent and non-expiring, if that's what you mean....

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I believe the fat ring around my middle is probably permanent and non-expiring, if that's what you mean....

Sorry, by PFD I meant like a life jacket. I've googled it to see if they expire but can't find a date or how many years they are good for :confused:
0791914_100_CC_1fac7.jpg

Splash

Yeah, probably.

I took captain's classes. I should remember this. Of course, I was only a kid and my dad only took me because the class was cheaper than a baby sitter and was required for him...

I'll ask him! But my gut says yes, definitely. I imagine I'd chuck them after five years or so.

twom

I went and searched around a bit, and I couldn't find anything about a particular life span. The things I found said just to keep checking them over for any signs of wear like broken buckles, frayed straps, holes, or compressed foam, and replace when you find these things. One thing also recommended jumping into the water with them on (someplace safe) a couple of times a year at least to make sure they're still appropriately buoyant.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I went and searched around a bit, and I couldn't find anything about a particular life span. The things I found said just to keep checking them over for any signs of wear like broken buckles, frayed straps, holes, or compressed foam, and replace when you find these things. One thing also recommended jumping into the water with them on (someplace safe) a couple of times a year at least to make sure they're still appropriately buoyant.

That's what I was going to suggest, as well. Hubby just took a boating safety course a couple of months ago, so I asked him, and he said no one mentioned PFDs expiring. I'm thinking there's probably no official recommendation.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I am a pretty serious sailer (as is AdventureMom) and have numerous PFDs of varying types. Some of mine are old. I mean REALLY REALLY old. Perhaps I should chuck them?

mommycat

All I found in a brief google search was to replace expired/old canisters for self-inflating PFDs.

TheRealMacGyver

I don't believe there is a set expiration, but instead they are required to be in good physical condition. I think the covering would degrade before the foam flotation inside. In a Coast Guard inspection they just look for rips/tears straps and buckles in good condition, that sort of thing. PFD's are offered in a wide-range of quality and price, depending on what type of boating you're doing. They now have Coast Guard approved inflatible PFD's that you can wear all the time and they lay flat until you detonate the CO2. If you really want to look at more, check this out:

"PFDs must be Coast Guard approved, in good and serviceable condition, and the appropriate size for the intended user. " from:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...r/10001/-1/10001/PersonalFlotationDevices.htm

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
In all of our sailing and researching for our trip last year, I don't recall coming across anything mentioned expiration...? DH took the Captain's Class - I'll ask him. We have numerous lifejackets of all sorts. Of course, there a difference between a 10-yr-old lifejacket and one from a cabin in the woods that been there since 1960 or something... :eek: Honestly, it probably depends on what they're made from - what type of foam (i.e., closed-cell vs open-celled, etc).

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Thanks everyone for your replies :)

I have a life jacket but wasn't sure if it expires or not but I will test it to make sure that it works properly. It is pretty much for just using at the hotel pool, the pool and for the beach.

Pawy

Check out www.mypoolpal.com Aquaforce for great kids PFD,s... :)

I had you same question too but i couldnt find a answer, but did notice that some newwer PFD,s do come with a expiry date.

Pawy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC