Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Expecting #3! 3 across in Hyundai Elantra

We found out last week we are expecting Baby #3 due in late November/early December! Excited but overwhelmed a bit. Looking to save up for a van, but since that may not happen, I need to know how I can fit 3-across in my Hyundai Elantra 2003.

DS, 4 years old, 38 lbs
    Currently FF in: EFTA DLX with LATCH

DD, 1.5 yrs old, 21 lbs
    Currently RF in: Radian XTSL with LATCH

I really want an infant carrier for the new infant (and would have to get a new one anyway as our expired). Someone might give me their Baby Trend Flex Loc.

What do you think? I know my DS will have to get a new seat, so help!!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Expecting #3! 3 across in Hyundai Elantra

First, congratulations!
    Now, the bad news...
    There's no way you'll be able to do it with the EFTA.
    A RF Radian, FF Radian, and Keyfit might be doable. Any infant seat will almost definitely have to be baseless, and you'll need a Radian for your older child.
    I love my car (02 Elantra) but it is NOT 3-across friendly!

Are you open to skipping the infant seat? You could do RF Radian/FF Radian/and RF Coccoro for the babe.
    Heather, proud mommy to:
    Dustin 12y & 105 lbs 5-stepped/Seatbelt only
    Colton 6y & 43lb FF RXT/Pinnacle/FR90
    Peyton 5y & 38lb FF in Sureride/FR90/FR85

Quote Originally Posted by hrice View Post
    Are you open to skipping the infant seat? You could do RF Radian/FF Radian/and RF Coccoro for the babe.
    Nope, CCO isn't compatible. I fought with it for a month before giving up and selling it on.

Carseat Crazy

yikes Would it matters if I did seat belt installs instead of LATCH? I really do want an infant seat and base if I can. What about a Nautilus for the 4 yr old? Wouldn't it be a waste to get a Radian for my 4-yr old, so you think he'll outgrow it by height?

Has ANYONE done a 3 across in Elantra?

Nautilus will almost certainly be too wide.

The Radian could be used by the 4yo while the baby is in the carrier, and then passed to the baby -- not sure what would work for the 4yo at that point (Auz, is the Maestro too wide?)
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

Quote Originally Posted by KaliShanti View Post
    yikes Would it matters if I did seat belt installs instead of LATCH? I really do want an infant seat and base if I can. What about a Nautilus for the 4 yr old? Wouldn't it be a waste to get a Radian for my 4-yr old, so you think he'll outgrow it by height?

Has ANYONE done a 3 across in Elantra?
    My KF is lent out at the moment, but I should hopefully get it back soon and I'll try RN, RN, KF30 for you. I'm thinking it'll work, but fingers crossed!

CPS Technician
    If you have to get the 4y a radian, you can hand it down to baby when baby outgrows the infant seat.

Stefanie, cpst in iowa - mom to 4 great kids
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa
    mom to dd 11,/00, ds 11/01, ds 3/06, dd 04/07, dd 08/12 (radian rxt) ds 12/13 (evenflo sureride)

Carseat Crazy

What about a booster/5 point for the 4 yr old like a Britax 85 or Recaro? I'd just like to get him a seat that would grow with him as opposed to the Radian if possible.

those are both way too wide unfortunately... they are 18.5 and 19" wide. A Maestro *might* work as it puzzles with a RF Radian if I remember correctly. But it is outgrown shortly after the Radian and is outgrown as a booster the same time as the harness...