Vent OMG, my local news on car seat safety!

firemomof3

I am sick, just sick :mad: My local news did a quick few minutes on the "new" recommendations. So, our wonderful NH director of public health stated that when a child is around 28lbs. he/she can move into a booster seat :banginghead: I'm so pissed off I'm shaking. So I wrote a nice email to the station giving them the correct info and asked if they would do a segment on ERF, doubt it but hey its worth a try

ADS

MommaKellie

I am sick, just sick :mad: My local news did a quick few minutes on the "new" recommendations. So, our wonderful NH director of public health stated that when a child is around 28lbs. he/she can move into a booster seat :banginghead: I'm so pissed off I'm shaking. So I wrote a nice email to the station giving them the correct info and asked if they would do a segment on ERF, doubt it but hey its worth a try

Just continue trying to contact them about doing an ERF seg. It's the best you can do! WoW. I can just imagine what people are thinking now!

littleangelfire

So who is this public director of health safety guy? I'd try and figure out how to get hold of him or someone above him.

scariestone

28lbs?! :eek: Wonder what orifice he pulled that number out of. With that "guideline" DS would have been in a booster at like a year and a half old. If he's completely unwilling to listen, go above his head. If you keep working upwards, eventually someone will care that he's giving out dangerous misinformation.

firemomof3

Oh ya, he was definitely talking out of his you know what. I just contacted my instructor who works at Dartmouth and she said they had provided information to the jerk's office for this interview....I guess he didn't read it :akimbo:
I told my instructor that she should be the one doing the interview! She is so well-spoken and so well versed!

firemomof3

Perhaps contacting the State's Attorney's office and letting them know what kind of liability they have been opened up to since this official is giving out information that could cost children their lives would make a difference.

Very good idea!

molly&elle

That's awful!! :mad: I don't know where these public officials get their info (well obviously they make it up) I truly hope they make a new segment to explain what the rules are and the WHY behind it all.

mommyx4

I started watching it and then changed the channel when I saw the Century Infant Carrier they were demonstrating with. I knew it was going to be down hill from there. lol When they start off with expired seats you know it isn't going to be good.

PunkyMonkey

I started watching it and then changed the channel when I saw the Century Infant Carrier they were demonstrating with. I knew it was going to be down hill from there. lol When they start off with expired seats you know it isn't going to be good.

SMH.... horrible. Its misinformed ignorant people like this who feed the people I argue with every day about this stuff (only in NH, not in FL). :mad:

They can't just have an "official" say things like that and not correct it! Not only is that an extremely LOW weight to even FF in a convertible yet alone even think of a booster... but there is so much more to account for than weight anyways - height, age, etc. My 3 month old is over 16 pounds... at this rate by his oh-so-knowledgeable recommendation she would be in a booster at 1.

What an idiot.

KaiLing

Please, please shake a lawyer at these people. Correspondence in writing with a lawyer's name on it as well sometimes helps scare them. And they *should* be scared.

mom2olivia

Where did he get 28lbs????

When the new recommendations came out they said on our news that you should rear face to 2 then after that they needed to be switched to a booster seat. They showed clips of a couple kids in different seats. One was a harness seat but the other was a booster. I was angry and called the news station front desk and told them I was a CPST and they needed to correct some of the info they were giving out to avoid confusion. I was on the phone with the guy for like 20 minutes. I don't think he has ever had kids lol because I had to explain what a harness seat was and what a booster was and the new recommendations and he was writing it down and reading it back to me. I didn't watch the news the next day so I don't know what they did with it...but he was willing to change it just from me talking to him!

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Do you have a link to the news segment? If so - please post it and I'll try to see to it that this doesn't happen again.

mumof2

wow 28lbs!! my 16 month old is 26lbs and I while I would say he is a decent size I cannot see him in a booster for a very long time.

firemomof3

The news channel never posted the segment on their website. And yes mommyx4 I saw that expired century bucket seat!!!
There is some legal action being thrown around but I'm not sure how far it will go.

mommyx4

I searched the entire website and could not find a link. Have you gotten a reply to your email? I have emailed them in the past and never received a reply. They are awful about that. I hate when the news does stuff like this. It's only going to make my argument with people harder.

thepote

OMG just seeing this now. I'm glad I missed that; I would have been upset, too. Let me know if I can help. It's such amateur hour in our state government I'm so not surprised :(

Was it WMUR?

OT, A, are you taking the tech class?? :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC