HELP! Convince them to follow the law!

opaque1997

Ok - whats a quick easy - honest straight forward response to a husband who has is 8 mo old ff because her feet are squished rf and she's 20 ilbs so its safe.

I've tried its illegal and its not safe - per AAP and WA state laws - but he has read the law and states its 20 or 1 year.

Yes links and pictures sent but he's not "looking at utube thats extreme" (in reference to this site.

His wife is having a rough time and I'm in a panic over this child as her father is primary care giver and takes her for drives every afternoon to see the neighborhood.:confused:

I'm not even trying to get to ERF - just get to at least 1yr

ADS

momtotwogirls

Even if the law states 1 or 20 NO seat on the US market allows forward facing before 1 yr AND 20lbs sometimes its 22lbs and some even have a height requirement too.

kalamos23

Broken leg, cast it, broken neck, casket? That is a hard one if he is not willing to look at links, bc it means he knows it is safer to rf, but just does not want to.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

opaque1997

Really? Unfortunately - they are using a garage sale seat which may or may not have the manual and I also wonder if its older if it will have that :(

but thats good to know!!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Even if the law states 1 or 20 NO seat on the US market allows forward facing before 1 yr AND 20lbs sometimes its 22lbs and some even have a height requirement too.

WA state law is not 1 or 20. Or 1 and 20. It's proper use. There are at least two carseats which would be legal in WA forward facing at 20 pounds, regardless of age (Graco My Ride and ComfortSport).

I'd show the video which shows how the legs are more at risk forward facing (it's on here http://carseatblog.com/5168/why-rear-facing-is-better-your-rf-link-guide/) and then walk away and not look in their car.

Wendy

opaque1997

Thanks - the situation is my co worker is the wife and she is now concerned - her husband is the one fighting obviously - I'll link her to this thread so she can see what you all post too... THANK YOU - I just can't believe how my heart stopped!

FYI baby is 7 months and 22 ish pounds.

momtotwogirls

WA state law is not 1 or 20. Or 1 and 20. It's proper use. There are at least two carseats which would be legal in WA forward facing at 20 pounds, regardless of age (Graco My Ride and ComfortSport).

I'd show the video which shows how the legs are more at risk forward facing (it's on here http://carseatblog.com/5168/why-rear-facing-is-better-your-rf-link-guide/) and then walk away and not look in their car.

Wendy

From the side of the MyRide 65
myride.jpg

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Awesome! I'm glad to see that on the sticker. Because the manual is woefully lacking.

5640658535_6b60263bab_z.jpg

Maybe the Comfortsport has a similar sticker? In which case I'd bet a lawyer could argue that the one year is legally binding.

Wendy

Mom2FiveGirls

I just had this conversation with someone... Unfortunately, nothing I said or showed her (links, videos, etc) had any effect. She refused to read/watch them. She insists that she will not risk her child's legs by keeping them rear facing once their feet touch the back. She says she turned her other kids around at 8-9 months and will do the same for her baby. Apparently her kids legs are more important than their lives...

Anyway, it got to the point where I realized nothing I said or did would change her mind. She refuses to look at the facts and continues to believe what she wants to believe. It drives me crazy and I cannot even begin to understand it, but there is nothing more I can do. Sometimes you just have to walk away, pray real hard (if you believe in that...) and not look in their car/pictures... It sucks, but some people just refuse to listen.

opaque1997

Well the husband (I think it helps if you have at least one parent on your side) has agreed to look at the research and go to a 'class' (is there such a thing? I think she is referring to an installation check but thats ok with me :) )

So I'm super excited! I also checked with a few people in the office and found rf to 2-3 is becoming the norm!!! :)

momtotwogirls

Awesome! I'm glad to see that on the sticker. Because the manual is woefully lacking.

5640658535_6b60263bab_z.jpg

Maybe the Comfortsport has a similar sticker? In which case I'd bet a lawyer could argue that the one year is legally binding.

Wendy

This is in the Comfortsport manual. Page 16
Page 16:

Forward-facing - 20-30 lbs (9-13.6 kg)
and are at least one year old.
Harness straps must be
through middle or top slots
at or above shoulders.

http://download.gracobaby.com/ProductInstructionManuals/ISPC123BA.pdf

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Excellent. Though in the section like the My Ride's I took a photo of it doesn't say one year there, either. Just 20 pounds and sitting unassisted.

Wendy

KaiLing

For what it's worth, technically, I think you could make a case that that's child abuse, as negligence is child abuse in all 50 states. Those of us who are 'mandated reporters' (like teachers) *technically* could report that parent to CPS. I think we wouldn't, usually, because it's a total PITA, and there are people out there beating up their children that we want CPS to use their efforts for, but I think technically, you're verging on abuse when not following this law.

opaque1997

Though I see your point - I'd hate to threaten a parent with that to get them to rear face - I believe in this particular case the father was simply being a stubborn male (sorry but well its true) and once he started to see multiple cites of the info and multiple reasons and points he conceded.

Qarin

Many states specifically exempt child car seat usage/non-usage from being admissable as evidence of neglect.

opaque1997

Excellent! Now aim for two years. :)

Wendy

Oh yes - thats my goal - We'll get her turned back around and then push for the 2 years.. and hopefully because of her growth will have to put her in a seat that would actually take her to 3.. and then maybe they will just leave her :)

We are also talking about getting a better pediatrician who may talk her through some of this.. as hers did not say anything to her about anything.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC