Which side offers the most protection?

sb518

Are the chances higher to be hit on the driver side, or passenger??

I am going to need to move DD's car seat from the center to one side of the back seat. ('04 Mitsubishi Lancer) It's getting too painful for me (herniated disc in my neck) to get her in with her seat in the center. Just wondering if one side has a lower risk than the other. I'd prefer her to be on the driver's side but I can't remember what the statisics are.

TIA!

ADS

NannyMom

I think it's about a 1% difference (12% vs 13% of crashes happen on that spot). And the lower (safer) is the driver's side.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It's nearly identical. I think one side had a slightly higher risk, but the difference was so small it was inconsequential. I think it also might change from year to year.

In other words: Do whichever works best.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It not only changes from year to year, but from day to day, hour to hour, by city and even intersection... Do what is more convenient. Without a detailed statistical analysis of where you'll be when, you can't know, and even then, the distance would be very slight, statistically insignificant.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
One other thing you may consider is if you street park. In that case, it's safer to take her out/put her in on the sidewalk side (which generally would be the passenger side.)

mlohry

We have a detached garage and hubby always pulls the van out for me every morning, so I come out of the house to the passenger side, so that's where DD sits, then I don't have to walk her all the way around our van. Convenience is how I pick.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC