Should I see if I can switch my Oobr order for a Frontier?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
All right, so DD tried out the Monterey yesterday and she'll be fine in a booster. Not sure if I'll be fine though! :ROTFLMAO:

I've got a Nauti coming for our vehicle and the Oobr was for my parents vehicle, although the Monterey works nicely there so they could use either and I could just save the Oobr for our vehicle if it doesn't work in theirs. She's at their house everyday but only goes out a couple times per week. The drive would be anywhere from 5 mins. to 15 mins. then some time at the destination, then the same ride back to my parents. There's 2-4 weeks in July where she'll be home with us while we have vacation from work.

Once fall hits she'll be in Kindergarten 2 days per week. We'll drop her off and she'll walk home with my parents since the school is only 2 blocks from their house. They might need to drive at lunch if lunch time is too short for her to walk back and forth and eat lunch. They will also drive her home once the weather is snowy and serious windchill. The drive is maybe 1 minute; the school is that close.

Sometime in December the new baby will be here and I'll have her stay home one or two days with me likely. Then she'll have Kindy 2 days and maybe one fun day at my parents.

Now that the logistics are out of the way, you can see that she doesn't drive a ton with them. But, I am freaked out that the seat belt won't lock soon enough or at all in an accident because it was designed for an adult, not a 40# child in a booster seat. Or that she'll be fluttering her legs and loosen the lap belt so there is slack and she gets ejected (okay, I guess I could resolve that by telling her she can't flutter legs) but maybe it gets loose for some other reason. Or the buckle sounded like it clicked but it didn't and she's really not buckled. And then I'm freaked out about extra head excursion and head injuries. Ya, I've got many more scenarios in my head!

So should I just relax about the Oobr? Or see if I can swap the order before it ships for a Frontier?

Last edited:
ADS

Baylor

Now that the logistics are out of the way, I am freaked out that the seat belt won't lock soon enough or at all in an accident because it was designed for an adult, not a 40# child in a booster seat. Or that she'll be fluttering her legs and loosen the lap belt so there is slack and she gets ejected (okay, I guess I could resolve that by telling her she can't flutter legs) but maybe it gets loose for some other reason. Or the buckle sounded like it clicked but it didn't and she's really not buckled. And then I'm freaked out about extra head excursion and head injuries. Ya, I've got many more scenarios in my head!

So should I just relax about the Oobr? Or see if I can swap the order before it ships for a Frontier?

That paragraph right there is why my kids will be harnessed until it is no longer possible. I just can not deal with the what ifs and would not be able to handle the guilt and grief should they be in an accident in a booster and be severely injured or perished. For my peace of mind, I need to know that I did everything I could to keep them safe. I can not take that chance they will be out of position at the point of impact. I could not live with me.

So I say get the FR for peace of mind if it is really going to be something you are concerned about. Like you said, She will be fine in a booster, but if it will worry you, Get the FR.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Try to switch to the Frontier.

Um, I have no reasoning behind that suggestion other than I just ordered a Frontier 85 in Livia for my almost 6 year old, and I want to encourage others to order completely unnecessary seats as well. :ROTFLMAO:

In all seriousness, I think the Oobr would be a good choice; it looks like such an awesome booster. But if you are going to be stressed about the booster (even though it is safe and you know your daughter can ride well in a booster), I think the Frontier could possibly be worth it for your own peace of mind. :twocents:

Last edited:

christineka

I'd switch to the frontier. Not only because it can be harnessed, but because it has leg support, which the oobr lacks. I had an oobr and all the kids complained about it being very hard. their legs hung off the end of the seat, except for my petit 6 yo's whose legs bent perfectly at the edge. The oobr may be cute and have neat features, but it's uncomfortable. Or, at least for my kids. They all liked the frontier85, though. I tried them in booster mode and the seatbelt fit well. I like the option of ordering the slide guard to be used with it as well. At that price point, the frontier 85 is the longer lasting seat, so why not pick it?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
First of all, if it doesn't buckle, she'll know. Second, my daughter can wiggle her legs til kingdom come in the Oobr, and not loosen the belt. I have no concerns about a belt not locking in a crash- it will lock as long as there is ANY weight on a buckled belt, and boosters are DESIGNED to work worth the belt locking in a crash to protect a child. And Clek is SO safety-minded in their designs, I think it's a very safe booster choice.

christineka

Because it doesn't have a cute monkey wearing heart sunglasses? :p

Yeah, the oobr is cute, well that one. I had the black one, which wasn't cute. I wish britax would return to making cute covers. There are some cute covers out there for the older seats, why only boring stuff for the new generation?

Baylor

First of all, if it doesn't buckle, she'll know. Second, my daughter can wiggle her legs til kingdom come in the Oobr, and not loosen the belt. I have no concerns about a belt not locking in a crash- it will lock as long as there is ANY weight on a buckled belt, and boosters are DESIGNED to work worth the belt locking in a crash to protect a child. And Clek is SO safety-minded in their designs, I think it's a very safe booster choice.

To be fair, I know nothing about the Oobr so probably should not have commented without knowing both seats.

However I think monkeys are an essential part of a car seat collection.. ;)

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

We switched DD out of boosters and back into a harness. DH had a oober in his vehicle and I had been rotating between the vivo/kidfix and maxi cosi rodi. I really do like the deep seat and extra leg support of the Frontier. She likes the livia cover and I like having her harnessed again. I'm not sure how the Frontier will work as a booster in our explorer though as it is very wide and I'm not sure it will be easy to buckle. We will have to see at that point.

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

She likes the oobr because of Julius the monkey. :rolleyes: She never complained about leg support. She definately has more leg support in the Frontier. She wasn't crazy about the cow Frontier and I thought she would like it. As soon as I saw the livia cover I ordered it. She is crazy about pink so she didn't mind the switch. The oobr is seriously heavy and solid.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
if you're that worried.... it's going to affect your driving... so order the frontier
I thought of that as well, except she'll be in a Nauti in our vehicle. The Oobr will be in my parents' vehicle that she only rides in a couple times per week. And my dad isn't the sort to worry if I've told him it's fine. My mom doesn't drive and knows how she's supposed to sit so will keep an eye on her and let me know if there's any issues.

canadiangie

I have an almost 8 yo in my vehicle on a daily basis who uses a booster. And I'll be honest, by the end of a long day I almost don't have the strength to be watchful of his position, what he's doing, offering a cue if he's slouching or reaching or looking back to my 3rd row, etc, etc, etc, et freaking cetera.

He's short torsoed and weighs just over 40lbs. He fits dd's FrontierXT and so that's where he rides every single time when I don't have dd with me. I just buckle and... relax.

When he's in the booster I'm forever checking on him in my rearview mirror, doing shoulder checks at red lights, cueing him to stay in position... It's tiring.

I can honestly say that I prefer a 5 point harness. Until we're given solid evidence that's it's truly less safe for the older set to use, Im kind of leaning towards harnessing longer than your typical age 5-6 and 40lbs *for my own kids* and those in my care. :eek:

Mommy0608

I wouldn't let potential malfunctions sway my decision if I were you (seat belt not buckled, etc.) Flukes like this can happen with a harnessed seat as well.

If it were me though, I'd probably go with the FR85 anyway, just to ease my mind. I'm not in the position of thinking about a booster yet for other reasons, so I guess I don't know exactly how I'd feel... but I think I'd lean toward harnessing as long as the grandparents are competent in buckling and using the seat properly (same goes for the booster of course, if that's what you choose).

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Yup, the grandparents are good with proper use and installation of whichever I choose (or have chosen which could be the case if the order is at a point of no return).

I did email Snuggle Bugz to see if switching is a possibility. May as well know if the option is even on the table.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have an almost 8 yo in my vehicle on a daily basis who uses a booster. And I'll be honest, by the end of a long day I almost don't have the strength to be watchful of his position, what he's doing, offering a cue if he's slouching or reaching or looking back to my 3rd row, etc, etc, etc, et freaking cetera.

He's short torsoed and weighs just over 40lbs. He fits dd's FrontierXT and so that's where he rides every single time when I don't have dd with me. I just buckle and... relax.

When he's in the booster I'm forever checking on him in my rearview mirror, doing shoulder checks at red lights, cueing him to stay in position... It's tiring.
I think this depends on the kid/parent entirely, as you say-- when my 7 year old is in her booster, as long as she's not asleep I haven't got a worry about her staying in position. (I may have shown her out-of-position crash test videos and seatbelt syndrome pics to put the fear into her before I let her ride in a booster... :whistle: ) She stays in position better than I do-- if she drops something, she'll say "I dropped my coloring! Abba, can you pull over and get it for me?" and frequently reminds me, "Mommy! Stop turning your head like that, you might get in the wrong position!" If I was that worried about a kid staying in position, back in the harness full time he'd go. (And that's why my second will not be in a booster for MANY years-- totally different personality than the first, and I just can't trust her to remember to sit right!)

canadiangie

I think this depends on the kid/parent entirely, as you say-- when my 7 year old is in her booster, as long as she's not asleep I haven't got a worry about her staying in position. (I may have shown her out-of-position crash test videos and seatbelt syndrome pics to put the fear into her before I let her ride in a booster... :whistle: ) She stays in position better than I do-- if she drops something, she'll say "I dropped my coloring! Abba, can you pull over and get it for me?" and frequently reminds me, "Mommy! Stop turning your head like that, you might get in the wrong position!" If I was that worried about a kid staying in position, back in the harness full time he'd go. (And that's why my second will not be in a booster for MANY years-- totally different personality than the first, and I just can't trust her to remember to sit right!)

I would if I could, but just can't feasibly do it.

2nd row: KF > rf RN > booster.
3rd row: FNXT > ff RN.

I need to be able to move the booster out of the way (and tuck it away all day while J is at school) so that can tumble the vehicle seat to access the 3rd row kids. I can't hatch load the 3rd row kids because there isn't enuf space above the 3rd vehicle seat to squeeze them thru.

I love my SUV because it has 2 TA's in the 3rd row, and a 33/33/33 split in the 2nd row (has 3 TA's in the 2nd row, should I need them) and everything installs really well.

The only issue I have is this 8 (!!) yo who just cannot sit still for ling without cueing because it's not reinforced in his parent's vehicle. This is a kid whose been in a booster since age 3 and I'm guessing well under 40lbs. 5 solid years of being allowed to squirm around has my job even harder.

I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place. I have considered going baseless with the KF so that I can flip her seat fwd to get to 3rd row. I might, come summer when school is out... But I'm not excited about it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC