Got our new CA - but hate the rigid strap covers!

MommaK

Ugh! Is there any way around these? The straps are narrow on a CA anyway, but the rigid strap covers make it even worse. It looks like they could be un-threaded in the back (still sewn to a bar back there), but I need to figure something out because they're so uncomfortable for my daughter. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Nope. They're required, unfortunately.

I did complain to the Dorel rep at Lifesavers and he said they're looking into getting rid of them, but possibly on redesigned seats, so I'm not sure it would even be retroactive.

I hate them too. I do my best to hold them down while I tighten the harness. But yeah, :thumbsdown:

momtotwogirls

Yeah I hate them too but apparently my daughter is jsut super narrow. I thought the TFP was really wide set but I put my youngest in her CA65 without a jacket on and the straps sit like they should not touching her neck at all but the outside of the staps are on the very edge of her shoulders.

mom2olivia

I hate them too. Which is why I complained to Dorel because the stupid rigid strap covers were pinching Olivia's neck. They sent me a check for the seat and I bought a Radian. I wish they would make a CA with soft harness covers...I really like the seat except that one thing..

APmama2MAK

Okay, as hard as I try I cant find a pic of these strap covers, anyone got one?

I have never seen any covers on the ones Ive seen in person either now im curious lol.

ETA I found one pic on a car seat blog, they dont look obtrusive in the pics though, they actually look really small and useless for those that like strap covers. I guess im gonna have to find one in person to feel them!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
My problem with them isn't from a comfort standpoint, but from a convenience one. They roll back into the shell if you're not very careful while tightening. Too high-maintenance for my taste. Though I put up with it anyway.

mommycat

Could anyone link a pic not on carseatblog? For some reason I cannot access carseatblog on this computer at all.

Spam

They only come on certain colors, why are they required? I played with a silverleaf that had them and I didn't like how they always went back into the shell. I have a great lakes 65 dom of 4/10/11 and it doesn't have them.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I think it's a matter of weight limit/timing rather than pattern.

I think the 50 lb versions don't have them, and I think they either made a change to the seat and/or did more testing to determine that they were--if not necessary--at least preferred.

Not sure though.

ETA: Wait, your 4/11 seat doesn't have them? What model is it? Maybe it depends on the base or something.

mamakc

I hated them at first, but now I don't mind them. It took a few times to get used to them. They don't get pulled back into the shell anymore or get in the way with us.

I can get a pic later if someone else doesn't get to it first.

mom2olivia

Okay, as hard as I try I cant find a pic of these strap covers, anyone got one?

I have never seen any covers on the ones Ive seen in person either now im curious lol.

ETA I found one pic on a car seat blog, they dont look obtrusive in the pics though, they actually look really small and useless for those that like strap covers. I guess im gonna have to find one in person to feel them!
The rigid covers are the same color as the harness you can see it under the harness straps. NOT comfortable.
215024_521915132404_167300060_30595507_2604349_n.jpg

APmama2MAK

Those are ... odd... they dont even cover the edge of the strap where I hear complaints of it digging in...I wonder if they actually noticed a difference in testing. Are they grippy at ALL?

mom2olivia

Those are ... odd... they dont even cover the edge of the strap where I hear complaints of it digging in...I wonder if they actually noticed a difference in testing. Are they grippy at ALL?
Its not the straps digging in it is the harness strap covers that pinch (at least my daughter). You get the straps tight and the harness covers pinch the skin and rub really bad. I have a hard time tightening the straps because of the covers. I can't remember what the bottom looks like. But these are hard not soft. Like on the edge of jeans on the legs where it is sewn together. It feels like that.

featherhead

The rigid covers are the same color as the harness you can see it under the harness straps. NOT comfortable.

It actually looks like you have the chest clip a bit too high. If you move it down a bit, that might bring the straps away from her neck a tiny bit more.

mommycat

It actually looks like you have the chest clip a bit too high. If you move it down a bit, that might bring the straps away from her neck a tiny bit more.
I was thinking that too. Thanks for the pic. It's hard to get a good feel for it, I think, without actually, ah, feeling them. :eek:

mom2olivia

It may be in this pic but it is at her armpit level but I took this just to show the harness covers :)

This is it without the chest clip buckled. I was trying to see where the straps lie when it isn't buckled....
205612_522280819564_167300060_30600924_1422982_n.jpg

featherhead

It may be in this pic but it is at her armpit level but I took this just to show the harness covers :)

This is it without the chest clip buckled. I was trying to see where the straps lie when it isn't buckled....

I would call Dorel and ask if you can use it without the chest clip. I would explain that it pulls the straps too tight at her neck. I'm not sure what Dorel's stance is on removing chest clips. I know some other manufacturers have ok'd it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC