Other Options Please

Kanney

My father has a 1995 Ford Truck which he has had a top Tethers anchor installed.

My Son will be 5 in June and is 42 lbs, 44 inches tall (that's a guess) Torso height is 15 inches I think.

I need a seat for my son to ride in the front seat of my dads truck on occasion.

I discussed the possibility of getting a Marathon because it has a built in Locking clip. (The seatbelts don't lock) This was decided against because of the price and Alex would only have about a year before he outgrew it in height. Then I would pass it down to his sister but then we would be left in the same position we are currently with out a seat for Alex to ride in the truck.

Alex rides in a Husky and Regent in mine and my husbands car. We were unable to get a rock solid install and it took forever to get an acceptable install. Any help if fixing this would be helpful.

I am looking for something easy to install so my parents will be willing to do it if needed. And that is a tad cheaper than the Marathon.

I am very interested in the Ride Safer Travel Vest. As this looks like an interesting fix and would be more useful in other situations. But I don't know much about it or how it installs. Is it safer than a regular Booster or the same? Are their any benefits to it beyond a regular booster.

The Safeguard Go seat also might be an option but can it install with a seatbelt? Dad's truck doesn't have latch. And I am assuming I would need a Locking clip with it (trying to avoid this).

Are there any other options that I don't know about?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Kim

ADS

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
The SafeGuard Go does install with a seatbelt (and a top tether). But, if you are trying to avoid a locking clip, you're right, it's not a good option (I assume the belts don't lock?).

The RSTV is similar to a booster, in that it helps the adult belt fit the child properly. The advantage over a booster is that it does not rely on the child to remain in the correct position. A booster only works if the child keeps the shoulder portion in the correct place (and doesn't slide himself out of it). The RideSafer is on the child and the belt is connected into the vest. The child cannot slip out of it.

In terms of installation for the RSTV, you buckle it on the child (sort of like a lifejacket for boating), then buckle the seatbelt over the child and put the belt into the belt guides. IMO, it's pretty similar to a booster in terms of difficulty (or lack thereof).

The Apex is the only seat I can think of that is cheaper than the MA and would give you some growing room - same installation/locking clip issue though.

It seems odd that the seatbelts don't lock...have you checked the lapbelt portion of it? In my 90 gmc the shoulder belt up front doesn't lock, but the lapbelt part of it does. If that's the case, that'd solve a lot of issues!! If it does lock, I'd look into a Safety 1st Apex...it's big, but it harnesses to 65lbs and it pretty user friendly. If it doesn't lock at all then maybe the vest, or depending on how often he'd be riding in there, is he mature enough to use a good booster, like a parkway or Compass B510?

Kanney

From what I remember the Seat Belts don't lock at all. If they did the Regent would have been a bit easier to install and I wouldn't be looking for a different Solution LOL!

I am not sure he is mature enough to sit in a Booster seat. He gets squirmy in the car and is forever trying to reach for stuff. Which I do like about the Vest it doesn't require him to be in perfect position to work.

Now I am totally willing to lug my Regent in and out of my car if I could get a good install in my dads truck. But I never got it rock solid. And if My parents ever had to move it I want something they could reproduce. Which is why I am trying to avoid the Locking clip.

Now I am going to ask this.. Should I just tell my parents if they want to take Alex fishing or to the woods where my dad would want to drive his truck They just need to drive 2 cars. The regent installs in my Moms Jeep Cherokee super easy LOL!

Kim

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I think your choices are very limited to avoid a locking clip, this sounds like a RSTV is possibly your best choice.

henrietta

What about a Sunshine Kids Radian 65? I thought that it had a built in locking clip?? It's less $ than the Marathon.

Or for bpb options that eliminate the need for a locking clip, the Recaro Young Start or the Britax Monarch offer a lot of SIP and cushioning for under $150.

hths

henrietta

Mom2nj

There isn't a locking clip on the Radian, at least mine doesn't have one. Only the Britax seats have looking clips that I know of.

Kanney

Thanks everyone! It does sound like the vest is the best option for us. And from what I saw on the website it looks like something my parents could manage to put on and install themselves.

Thanks again

Kim

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC