Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Rear Tethers in Newer GMC/CHEV Vans?

Anyone have a newer than '99 Olds/GMC/Chevy van? (Silhouette, transport, venture,etc). Does your van have tether anchors for the rear bench? I really want to get some installed for mine, but all I keep hearing is it can't be done. DH could probably attach an anchor to the frame of the van through the rear...but I want to know where yours are installed. Did they start offering tethers for the rear bench in newer vans, or still only offer them for the center seats? My issue is I really want Lex's Apex in the rear, but currently there's nowhere to tether it back there.
    Kathleen
    Wife to Mr. Mike and Mom to:
    B - 16, C - 15, T - 15, A - 14, H - 12,
    L - 10, J - 8, A - 8, R - 20mo!!
    I am seat and cover shopping!! 😁

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Rear Tethers in Newer GMC/CHEV Vans?

If your vehicle came with tether anchors (new) from the factory, then you cannot get additional anchors installed. DO NOT let your dh jerry-rig tether anchors. Bad bad bad bad bad things could happen.

You can tether a 2nd row seat to a 3rd row seatbelt if needed.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Carseat Crazy

The older vans only came with anchors for the middle row...and they use the rear seat belt anchors...using the rear seat belts isn't an option b/c there's usually children there. I don't have intentions of jerry-rigging anything...as a shop owner, I know that'd be dangerous and illegal, but I want to know whether or not newer gm vans offer anchors for the rear seats and where they're located.
    Kathleen

As I said, if your vehicle came with anchors new, you can NOT add more. I think it's awful, but it's legal. Theyre only required to put in so many anchors, and many companies aren't willing to spending the money for the testing and/or redesign necessary to put anchors in all passenger positions.
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    - Denis Waitley

Carseat Crazy

Hrmm. I must've been mistaken then. It seems like I'd read lots of posts about people having the dealer add another anchor to their vehicle. And I also was curious about the newer vans...what they came with...just for knowledge's sake.
    Kathleen

Anchors can be retrofitted in to older vehicles that did not have them to begin with, but not to vehicles that came with them from the factory.
    - Denis Waitley

There are exceptions to that though...the 2006/2007 Honda Odyssey for example. Our Escalade could have a center one added even though it already had two outboard. I am sure there are a few others as well...

Yes there are exceptions, but they're very rare.
    - Denis Waitley

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by AutoShopMama View Post
    Anyone have a newer than '99 Olds/GMC/Chevy van? (Silhouette, transport, venture,etc). Does your van have tether anchors for the rear bench? I really want to get some installed for mine, but all I keep hearing is it can't be done. DH could probably attach an anchor to the frame of the van through the rear...but I want to know where yours are installed. Did they start offering tethers for the rear bench in newer vans, or still only offer them for the center seats? My issue is I really want Lex's Apex in the rear, but currently there's nowhere to tether it back there.
    I have an 03' Chevy Astro, in the 3rd row the tether anchor is passenger outboard right at the bottom of the seat.
    Julie mommy to
    Rylee- 6yrs 40# 43" - Madison Regent
    Hannah- 4yrs 37# 40" - Madison Regent
    Ashlynn- 34 months 28# 33" - Brooke MA