So sad.

purplemama

At the grocery store today we were about to leave and DS2 was riding the pony (1 cent @ meijers) and I had DD in her seat on one of those nifty bench cart thingys where you can strap the car seat in. Anyway, there was a very elderly man sitting on the bench next to the pony. He asked me if that was a baby car seat and I smiled and said yes. He then asked if DS2 rides in a car seat too. Again I said yes with a smile. He then says how different things are today. I'm thinking oh boy here comes the our kids were fine without those newfangled things old person speech.

BUT..... then tears start rolling down his face and he says he wishes that they had those car seat things back when his son was little because his only child was killed in a car accident in 1950. I started crying too. OMG that caught me so off guard. I assured him I do my best to keep my kids safe in the car. Poor guy, he was all sad remembering. I gave him a big hug when we left.

ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
That is so incredibly sad. How awful to have to carry that with you and how terrible he must feel every time he hears someone complaining about car seats or using the "I never rode in a car seat and I was fine" excuse.

thepote

Wow :(
Sad, yes, but I'd say you were in the right place at the right time to hear that, and to bring it here. We need to hear those kinds of things, because we hear way too much of the 'other' stuff.
So thank you :thumbsup:

robbertbobbert

That is so, so sad.

I wish people like him were more vocal about their experiences like this. All the older people saying "well WE never had car seats and we are all just fine" only adds to the problem. Hearing from people who DID experience tragedies might help people realize that their one specific (lucky) situation does not make it okay to be lax about safety.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Oh how terrible!

So often when people say to me, "I rode in nothing and I'm ok," I counter with, "Yeah, those who didn't aren't here to have kids today." It makes them pause. How sad that that poor man needs to live with that.

Wendy

Mommy2Marcus

:crying: This breaks my heart for that man. I feel so bad that he has to feel this way. :( I agree that you were in the right place at the right time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC