Rear Facing in 2007 Vibe

MAggie Boston

I'm trying to help my SIL. 14-month old son is average size (22lbs, and 30" ??) and currently is in a Complete Air, rear facing behind the passenger seat in 2007 Pontiac Vibe. She would like to find another seat that would give the front seat more room. (Will be putting a Keyfit 30 in the backseat this fall when little sister arrives)

I installed my Avenue RF on Passenger side, and barely had leg room in the front seat (I'm short!).

Is the Scenera an option? Is it smaller than the Avenue?

Is the Evenflo Momentum/triumph an option? would it be smaller front-to-back?

I also thought about the Combi Coccoro, but I don't think they'll want to spend that much money right now. How much space would the front passenger gain?

ADS

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Do they have it at the newborn 45* angle? Or is it more upright? I have seen photos where Wendy get bigger RF seats in smaller cars LOL

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In my signature you can see that I had a CA at a 30 degree angle in my Corolla, and it didn't even touch the front seat, which was back enough to accomodate my 6'1", long-legged husband... I think if she puts it more upright it should fit.

mlohry

My mom has a Vibe, probably about the same year and I have put a Scenera in the middle row with quite a bit of room, I am sure it would install on the sides. I do not have it very reclined, but could recline it more for a younger child. My 2 year old rides RF in it. Would not be seat I would want to use everyday, but works fine for occasions.

MikeM

I had a 2003 Vibe for many years and now own a 2009 Vibe (exterior redesign, as far as I can tell the seats and cabin are the same as before). I've had a rear-facing Britax Marathon (old style) behind me (driver's side) for much of the past 4 years (two different kids). Installed upright, the Marathon takes up less room front-to-back than our bucket (first generation Graco, maybe 30 pound limit?).

I'm a guy of average height (5'10"), but I do drive with my seat a bit upright.

MAggie Boston

Thanks for all the suggestions. After talking to her, it sounds like it's not up to the full 30 degrees.

Are there any good hints/tips for measuring the 30 degree angle? Will they need to use a towel or anything else to help with the angle?

jjordan

Thanks for all the suggestions. After talking to her, it sounds like it's not up to the full 30 degrees.

Are there any good hints/tips for measuring the 30 degree angle? Will they need to use a towel or anything else to help with the angle?

A 30* angle is the angle between the hands on a clock at 1:00. If you have an iphone (or similar gadget), there is probably a leveling app that you can download that can measure the angle more precisely.

jjordan

I haven't actually looked at the CA manual, but SIL said it states that if the seat is installed RF, it must be fully reclined. Is this right? Is it a misprint?

After looking for other threads on this topic, I found this from a few months ago that says same thing. Why would the manual say that?

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=156202

That is an excellent question and one that can only really be answered by the engineers at Dorel (the manufacturer). I have heard that *some* people have gotten the okay from Dorel customer service reps to have their rearfacing Dorel seats installed at an angle other than what is specified in the manual. Others report that the customer service reps they've spoken to go with what is in the manual. I would suggest that if you're planning to use the seat at an angle other than what is specified in the manual, you do your homework first and make sure it is a decision you are comfortable with. Certainly call customer service and see what they say, if you like, and take that into consideration.

MAggie Boston

That is an excellent question and one that can only really be answered by the engineers at Dorel (the manufacturer). I have heard that *some* people have gotten the okay from Dorel customer service reps to have their rearfacing Dorel seats installed at an angle other than what is specified in the manual. Others report that the customer service reps they've spoken to go with what is in the manual. I would suggest that if you're planning to use the seat at an angle other than what is specified in the manual, you do your homework first and make sure it is a decision you are comfortable with. Certainly call customer service and see what they say, if you like, and take that into consideration.

Thanks. It just seems strange that the manual would require such a flat recline, when it's been shown/proven that flat recline is not as safe for older babies as a more upright angle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC