Read this guy's story!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I was bored on myspace and came across this guy's page. Read his "about me" section. And people think the risk of spinal cord injury is hooey :rolleyes:

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
A blurb with the main content because I had probs finding it & then reading it on the black background. ;)

Born in ... 1984. In 1986 things change while riding in my car seat of the van with my brother and my mother driving we were getting on the on ramp to the highway. For what my mom though was headlights coming at her was actually her lights reflecting off of an abandoned car on the on ramp. By the time she realized it it was too late. When we hit the car I went forward in the car seat stretching my spinal cord. I walked away from the car accident only to get to the hospital and hours later start to develop symptons of Paralysis. So the car accident combined with the fact that the Anit-Inflammatory drug used today on all Spinal Cord Injurys (SPI) was not given to me like it should have been caused me to lose more then i might have.

elle7715

That's really sad :(
What's most interesting to me is that he was 2 years old when it happened. That's considered a safe age to FF by most people, and it STILL paralyzed him. I'm glad my kids are/will be ERF.

Wineaux

A testimonial from this guy would be a great addition to any flyers, articles, etc that are done about ERF. Having a living and paralyzed example of the hazards of a 2-year old FF might jar a few more people into the realities of the situation. It may not be "cool" or "fashionable", but physics doesn't lie.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Exactly--I'll bet that when he has kids he willbe all for ERF! I sent that to DH, who thinks that 2yrs RF is "enough" and wants to put our 2 yo in a Regent ;)

scatterbunny

Too bad all our seats in the US only go to 30-35 pounds rear-facing. :( Even if I had known about ERF (that acronym always makes me laugh :p ) when Hayley was small enough to still RF, she would have had to go FF at 2.5 years old anyway, because that's when she hit 35 pounds. She's very tall and long-torsoed, too, so it's possible she may have been too tall to RF by 32-33 pounds, right at 24 months.

In 1986, I doubt there even were any seats that went above 20/22 pounds RF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC