What do I do with crashed seats?

sholoulou

Insurance said they do not need to keep the crashed seats. What do I do to insure no one else uses them. Also, I know I can keep the covers is there anything else on the seat that I can keep. The seats are Radian xtsl and Monterey. Thanks again!!

ADS

tarabelle

if they were occupied, just the covers.

Check around to see if you have a recycling program in your area for used car seats.

Cut all harness and latch straps. Write "CRASHED DO NOT USE" on the seats. Try to break them apart and throw them away in separate pieces. I put mine into large black trash bags so no one would be tempted to grab it off the curb.

Baylor

Unless, someone will need one when BRU does its trade in. you could keep them in the garage and then use them for 25% off new seat.

Keeanh

Depends if you have kids that like to make/invent things out of junk ;). Mine have had all sorts of fun with the harnesses, buckles, & tether straps of old seats. Really, there's nothing wrong with the buckles & webbing in terms of regular non-safety use.

luckyclov

I think it might depend on the particular station and the people on duty at the time, but when I found a "free" expired carseat on the side of the road, I didn't quite know what to do with it. So I drove to my local fire station and pleaded for help. They happily (actually, they were pretty excited :p) took it and said they'd find a way to destroy it (I did cut and remove the harness straps and crotch strap/buckle beforehand).

ETA: I've also removed the cover and cut straps/buckle off and placed the shell in a seperate garbage bag to go out with the trash.

dneul

I am in search of car seat harnesses and latch straps for a sewing project I have coming up... They will not be used anywhere near cars. Let me know what you want for them and I can paypal you the money for them.

agave

I took mine to BRU for trade in but I didn't need anything that qualified for the discount so I gave my %25 off coupons to a pregnant lady looking at carseats in the store.

Mae

Cut all harness and latch straps. Write "CRASHED DO NOT USE" on the seats. Try to break them apart and throw them away in separate pieces. I put mine into large black trash bags so no one would be tempted to grab it off the curb.

Yeah, make sure you smash them into a lot of pieces & then gradually dispose of them over a long time period! I just read on Facebook from a fellow technician that somebody *went through her trash bags*, then *knocked on her door* and asked if they could take the coverless & harness-less car seats that had "DANGER - EXPIRED CAR SEAT, DO NOT USE" written all over it. :eek:

dneul

I have taken the approach to removing covers, cutting harnesses and webbing off seats, removing screwed on pieces with screw driver, and then smashing the seats against the driveway until they are visually broken, and then with sharpie markers write "expired", "crashed", or whatever else applied.

robbertbobbert

Yeah, make sure you smash them into a lot of pieces & then gradually dispose of them over a long time period! I just read on Facebook from a fellow technician that somebody *went through her trash bags*, then *knocked on her door* and asked if they could take the coverless & harness-less car seats that had "DANGER - EXPIRED CAR SEAT, DO NOT USE" written all over it. :eek:

Wtffff? Who even does that? Were they just routinely searching through their trash, or did they know there was a seat in there? And who rummages through someone's trash and then ASKS if they can have something that was clearly intended to never be used again?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC