Guess this is outgrown

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I guess you NEED a highback? I can't see a headrest, but if she's ever in a car without one you do. If not, just use it backless. Parkways are taller than Turbos if you need the head support.

HEVY

I do have headrests, funny thing, I wasn't even thinking about headrests so if I needed to use it in another car without headrests then that would be a problem. She can use it without the back, well she has to, I know side-impacts are not common but all I can think about is her head going into the window :(

If I'm going to have to use a backless then I think I would go with another, one that's deeper and will position the belt a bit more over her hips, the TB rides slightly too high.

Keeanh

I do have headrests, funny thing, I wasn't even thinking about headrests so if I needed to use it in another car without headrests then that would be a problem. She can use it without the back, well she has to, I know side-impacts are not common but all I can think about is her head going into the window :(

If I'm going to have to use a backless then I think I would go with another, one that's deeper and will position the belt a bit more over her hips, the TB rides slightly too high.

If a backless makes you too nervous, my December 2002 child who is a little bigger than your daughter is still very comfortable in his Monterey.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
If you want a different backless, try the Harmony Literider from Walmart. $13.50 and I love the way it positions the belt on my 9yo. It fits my 6yo well too (though she is normally in a HBTB).

Dillipop

Do you have the armrests on the lower setting? If not, that should fix the problem of the lap belt riding slightly high. My 4 yo, 39 pound child fits the turbo perfectly with the armrests down low.

HEVY

If a backless makes you too nervous, my December 2002 child who is a little bigger than your daughter is still very comfortable in his Monterey.

I could try it in backless, can't really afford another highback booster at the moment.

If you want a different backless, try the Harmony Literider from Walmart. $13.50 and I love the way it positions the belt on my 9yo. It fits my 6yo well too (though she is normally in a HBTB).

I was thinking about this one.

Do you have the armrests on the lower setting? If not, that should fix the problem of the lap belt riding slightly high. My 4 yo, 39 pound child fits the turbo perfectly with the armrests down low.

I have it on the highest level because it was so difficult to get the belt under them on the lower, but we could try it again.

susanx4

wow, are sure thats up all the way? i have the same van, i my turbos look a lot higher then that , in that spot!

HEVY

This is her in the house with it on a flat surface, the bench slants in which takes away a lot of the height.

Last edited:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Try adjusting the recline on the vehicle seat to see if you can gain some height.

The lap belt fit will be different backless than it is with the back because her butt will be able to slide back farther, so try it backless before you rule it out.

Kat_Momof3

because her shoulders are passing the belt guide... and you want the seatbelt between the ears and the shoulder so that the shoulderbelt will stay on better in a crash and to avoid spinal compression for a seatbelt that is coming from too low below the shoulder.

I would get her a sunshine kids Monterey... it's tall, wider and roomier (much like the regent and the frontier that she has used and loved), and has a really deep seat for her legs.

gsdguenter

because her shoulders are passing the belt guide... and you want the seatbelt between the ears and the shoulder so that the shoulderbelt will stay on better in a crash and to avoid spinal compression for a seatbelt that is coming from too low below the shoulder.

Got it! That makes sense.

HEVY

Backless :( Hmmm, I guess that headrest needs to be raised. Need to decide if I'm going to get a backless or a Parkway SG (do I need a headrest for this?)

booster4.jpg

booster5.jpg

booster6.jpg

mom2olivia

Backless :( Hmmm, I guess that headrest needs to be raised. Need to decide if I'm going to get a backless or a Parkway SG (do I need a headrest for this?)

booster4.jpg

booster5.jpg

booster6.jpg

Hmm it looks like the shoulder belt needs to be a little lower. Its coming a little too close to her neck. You want it coming flat across her collarbone. The lap belt looks good though. The Monteray, Probooster and parkway are all taller. I have a probooster for my boyfriends 80lb 7 year old who has a 18.5" torso.
In this pic the headrest goes up about 5 more clicks. Its a tall seat.
181539_517548747674_167300060_30576921_7989165_n.jpg

scatterbunny

The lap belt fit looks fine to me. Not as low as some other boosters might position it, but it's a good fit, IMO. :twocents: I agree that the shoulder portion looks a little too high (you have a Windstar, right? Can you lower the belt a little?), but you don't want it too low. Too high/too close to the neck is better than too low/too close to the shoulder.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The backless fit looks fantastic. There no danger having the shoulderbelt closer to the neck, and some probable safety benefit (UNLESS a kid is uncomfortable and puts the belt behind their back, that is the ONLY reason they say not to let the belt rub on the neck, and that isn't gonna happen with this kiddo :))
I hear you on wanting a highback, though, HEVY. You know, I was playing with the Safety 1st air protect yesterday... http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_...003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=024W023098360001P and the belt guides were 22, if I was measuring right. I would know for sure if my lame-mart had it in stock and I could have bought it today, as I planned to.
Only Dorel (Cosco/Safety 1st/Eddie Bauer/Maxi Cosi) dedicated boosters require headrests, so this might not work in all your cars, but the Parkway needs no headrest.

HEVY

Thanks! Yep, you're right, this child would not put that belt behind her, lol, when I was trying to buckle it in the cab she was like, "MOMMY! You forgot this part of the belt" :love:

Since I am going to NJ in a couple days I get to try out the boosters in my car to make a better decision, I've already informed ex that she needed a new one, he's all about the price, but is also pretty accepting of my choices about her safety, so we'll see.

Just wanted to add, he has a new GF who has a 7yr old DS and an 11yr old DD. He informed me last night that her DS doesn't sit in the booster, mom said he has past the need to use one. He is smaller than Rachel so legally he doesn't pass. I explained to him why the use of a booster is safer and what the purpose of it is for as well as the 5-steps, the law and how they are made to hold higher weights and so on. He seemed to get it, hopefully he will have a talk to her about it, and that our convo will help him sway towards a highback :)

Oh, uhm, t5he only difference in a PWSG and PWSGL is lower anchors, right? I can get one online the same price.

Kat_Momof3

I agree with Julie... the fit backless looks fantastic and you have time before you NEED to raise the headrest (but I'd do it so you don't forget)... but if she falls asleep and needs the support, you know the list of options.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC