hmm booster seats

mumof2

so the AAP is saying to keep children in boosters until they reach 4feet 9 inches tall..which is usually around 8-12 years of age.

now correct me if I am wong that does not mean if you are 17 years old and 4 feet 6 inches tall that would you still need to be in a booster? because lets's face it by 17 you have pretty much stopped growing (at least upwards)

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
For people past puberty, you can just try to sit as properly in the belt as you can. And then you have a much greater bone density and proportionately smaller head than a child, so should fare ok in a crash. Seatbelts have been keeping people of all shapes and sizes pretty safe for 40 years now, the fit doesn't have to be super-perfect. Ideally we'd all be able to test drive cars to make sure they fit us properly, but at least more of them have more adjustable belt and seat settings than they used to.

Kat_Momof3

for people who are long since out of boosters, I'm fine with what Julia says.... for those who have known no different, I'd keep them in that booster as long as they can fit... and then encourage either only driving cars where they fit and keeping a booster for the ones that don't.

I just can't imagine being comfortable in a seatbelt that doesn't fit... I know my grandma never was and she ended up getting herself one a few years ago because it helped. (but that was also the big nice wide safety 1st prospect backless from walmart)

BeautifulChaos

for people who are long since out of boosters, I'm fine with what Julia says.... for those who have known no different, I'd keep them in that booster as long as they can fit... and then encourage either only driving cars where they fit and keeping a booster for the ones that don't.

I just can't imagine being comfortable in a seatbelt that doesn't fit... I know my grandma never was and she ended up getting herself one a few years ago because it helped. (but that was also the big nice wide safety 1st prospect backless from walmart)

Was she within the weight limit? I keep wondering if I should have one LOL

christineka

I think it's fine to have boosters beyond age 12 for you, your family, and suggest them to your grandma or whomever in your personal life who is looking for a solution. I do not support insisting that everyone under 4'9" should be in a booster regardless of age. It just puts you in the car seat hysteria category and regular people may not listen to a word you say. At age 13 or when kids hit puberty, their body has changed enough to keep them reasonably safe in an adult seatbelt. My kid is highly unlikely to pass the 5 step test at 13 years old. I will not make her ride in a booster, but if she wants it, I won't take it away from her either.

all together ooky

Not that this has anything to do really with your question, but many people are not done growing at 17. Especially males. My dad was short and 100lbs as a senior in high school. He didn't hit 6 ft. until he was 21.

But, by 17 most people's hips are developed so I wouldn't freak out about it. Of course, if they are short, they would probably be more comfortable in a booster.

Kat_Momof3

Was she within the weight limit? I keep wondering if I should have one LOL

she's a short little thing... she used to be 5'4, but with osteoporosis, she's just barely 5'... she fit so much better in the rear seat than she did in the front of the car that she and my grandpa had at the time... when he passed away last year, she scaled down to a car with seatbelts that fit her better instead of the big buick that fit him and was easy to get him in and out of.... she was 110... and chose to buck the limit by that much cause it fit.

I think it's fine to have boosters beyond age 12 for you, your family, and suggest them to your grandma or whomever in your personal life who is looking for a solution. I do not support insisting that everyone under 4'9" should be in a booster regardless of age. It just puts you in the car seat hysteria category and regular people may not listen to a word you say. At age 13 or when kids hit puberty, their body has changed enough to keep them reasonably safe in an adult seatbelt. My kid is highly unlikely to pass the 5 step test at 13 years old. I will not make her ride in a booster, but if she wants it, I won't take it away from her either.

I didn't say they HAD to, just that I would encourage them to stay with what is helping them fit. Really, I want to see car manufacturers get better at making vehicles, seats, and seatbelts that can easily be adjusted to fit people of all sizes and shapes...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC