3 across in Hyundai Sonata and Corrola

armyfam

We will be moving back to the US from Korea. We are planning on shipping back our Kia Sedona about 6 weeks early so that it will hopefully be in the US when we fly in. We are going to ship my girls seats(2 EFTA and Monterey) in the van.

So- for about 6 weeks- we will be using DH's 1995 Hyundai Sonata. It is made in Korea and does not have latch or tether. It also has an odd back seat that kinda curves on the side hugging the riders butt. There are shoulder belts outboard and lapbelt in the center.

I have 3 kids-ages 9, 4 and 1.
DD3(1) will be riding in her extra seat(onboard air)
I was thinking about putting DD1(9) in a lbb
What should I get for DD2?
I was thinking either Radian or Complete Air?
Can I fit 3 across in that type of car?
I guess the Onboard in the middle with the other 2 seats on the side?

I will have to order online and it will be a pain to have something shipped here and it not fit.

2nd question-
When we get back to the US- DH's car is a 2004 Corolla. I was going to use the girls extra seats in his car. They won't ride with him very often but I would like to have something in his car if needed.

Will a Radian or Complete Air fit with a lbb and possibly high back turbo in a Corolla?

I was thinking I could put DD1 in LB-DD2 in the HB turbo- and DD3 in the Radian or Complete Air.

Any ideas? Thanks!

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
The sonata is a nightmare for 3 across, because of those curvy in butt thingys you talked about. they literally shave like a foot of your usable space. I was *never* able to achieve ANY 3-across with an infant seat. I did achieve a few 3-acrosses with very specific seats, and they all required the use of a RF titan in the middle, because the base part is only 10 inches, so narrower by far than even a radian.

I think, as long as you can install it, that a FF radian, RF titan , TB would fit. I was able to get frontier, RF titan, TB. ONLY because the curvature of the frontier matches the curvature of the butt thingys, so it helped turn unusable space into usable space. I think you'll have to just try and see what works though.

StPaulMom

I have a Sonata and yes, it's a nightmare :(

Since you do not have top tethers and there is only a lap belt in the center, you are going to have to put a harnessed seat in the center.

Do the side positions have head rests? If so, then I would look into a lowback booster for your 9 year old- the Harmony Lite Rider or the BubbleBum will work for sure. However, if there isnt adequate head rest for your 9 year old in a backless booster, then I'd get the Graco TurboBooster (high back).

The old style Britax Marathon would work in the center because it has a raised base to puzzle with other lower profile seats next to it. You may or may not be able to get a good installation with the Radian or Complete Air because they tend to be iffy when installed with the seat belt in the Sonata. But, and both of these seats are very low and make it very difficult to fit anything right next to it. I *think* the Evenflo Maestro would puzzle FF next to a RF old style Britax.

So my advice would be:
FF Maestro, RF Classic Britax, booster

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
What about a saferider vest for the 4y? Its a wearable 5-point. You must use a lap/shoulder belt or lap belt/tether. So you could put him outboard. Its only as wide as the kid.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

armyfam

Could I do the safe rider vest outboard for dd2, lbb booster for dd1 outboard and our onboard 35 in the middle? Maybe complete air or radian in the middle?
How hard is it to use he safe rider vest correctly? Could I use it as a backup "seat" when we get back to the US in our corolla?
Do you know which online stores have a good return Policy?
Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC