Have to turn my 19mo FF. So devastated.

AmieRubyJonah

I don't post much here anymore, but you guys re the only ones who would understand how upset I am right now.

I had a big accident yesterday. My 19month old was RF, and my 6yo harnessed, both in radians. I'm so glad I'm anal about seats, they saved their lives.

Now my dilemma. I can't afford to import more radians. Not even 1 to keep DS RF. :(:(:( I'm so so so sad. But they cost me $1200 to import, I just don't have it this time.

He's 12kg (26lb) so over the weight limit to RF in any seat here in Australia. I feel absolutely SICK to my stomach at the thought of having him FF. Especially since the injuries he may have received should he have been FF yesterday could have been so much worse.

But what the hell do I do?????

ADS

AmieRubyJonah

The radians WERE imported from NZ. :( $499 per seat and $100 each for shipping. I don't even want to THINK what shipping would cost from the US. :(

andre149

Is it customs fees that cost so much or the actual shipping?

ETA: For example, where I'm at (St Kitts) if something were to get shipped in brand new customs would charge you a ton, but if it were used they probably wouldn't even charge anything.

Keeanh

Will insurance cover anything? If you have the original receipts, will they cover replacements?

abbi_n_nadia

Seems like it would be cheaper to order from the US because Radians are around $200 each here. $500 for a radian is crazy expensive! Even if the shipping is $300 it would still be cheaper right?

icnee

If you cant get a seat the he can RF in do they sell the sheild seats where you are. the new ones not the old ones that were bad.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
If you cant get a seat the he can RF in do they sell the sheild seats where you are. the new ones not the old ones that were bad.
I don't think shield seats are ever good. :confused:

The only good shield type seat I know of is the Romer/Britax laptop, and it's not suitable in this scenario. :twocents:

Keeanh

How about a True Fit, My Ride, or Complete Air imported from the US? And have you spoken with insurance yet? Show them the receipts and see what they say. They aren't law enforcement, so the worst they can say is no.

mumof2

oh man I can feel your frustration.

i am not even an australian resident and I am so angry at the Aussie Govt for not allowing carseats the RF even up to 35lbs.

by not allowing carseats that RF past 26lbs it means that parents either have to import carseats from overseas and because they do not meet the Australian Standards they are illegal. however as Amie has proven just because they are illegal does not make them unsafe. or they are forced to turn them around.

what about the Cosco that RF to 35lbs an can get it for less than $200 NZ

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
What about one of these? They are cheaper than the Radian.

http://www.babyonthemove.co.nz/car-seats/toddler-car-seats/Safety-1st-Chromite-Air-Protect

What about a Triumph? These guys ship internationally.

http://www.winkalotts.co.nz/Car_Sea...ance_LX_Convertible_Car_Seat_-_Black_Ice.html

I paid $100 USD to get a car seat shipped to NZ from the states.

These seem like excellent options. The Winkalotts shipping information page says:
Shipping to Australia: free for any orders over $500; $15 for orders under $100 and for orders from $100 to $500 we charge only $30.

The Triumph Advance is an excellent seat, and will get you to 35lbs (15.9kgs) RF.

And so sorry to hear about your crash - I'm glad you are all okay! A big :thumbsup: to you for doing everything you can to keep your children safe!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't think shield seats are ever good. :confused:

The only good shield type seat I know of is the Romer/Britax laptop, and it's not suitable in this scenario. :twocents:

Kiddy Life Plus. They have found their HIC numbers are virtually the same for even 1 yo's RF and FF... Here's a blog.. http://carseatblog.com/9689/the-kid...ix-booster-preview-let-the-drooling-commence/

(You should come upstairs more ;))

And to the poster who suggested it, no, they don't have anything like that in Australia. Aussie's are very proud of their safety record keeping kids RF to 6ish months, then going FF and tethered to 4 and boostering to, what, 6? The government doesn't feel the need to improve standards by following the lead of Sweden...or the US...

OP, I hope you can find an RF solution that works, and if not, take to heart that properly installed top tethered seats ARE still very safe, Australians aren't totally out to lunch with their standards, even though they haven't been racing to improve them.

(((HUGS)))

henrietta

What about one of these? They are cheaper than the Radian.

http://www.babyonthemove.co.nz/car-seats/toddler-car-seats/Safety-1st-Chromite-Air-Protect

What about a Triumph? These guys ship internationally.

http://www.winkalotts.co.nz/Car_Sea...ance_LX_Convertible_Car_Seat_-_Black_Ice.html

I paid $100 USD to get a car seat shipped to NZ from the states.

We have that Evenflo Triumph Advance and love it, BUT the CA will last much longer rearfacing and forward facing (probably as long as the Radians would).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC