Question for child with severe OI

jubgulia

I have an online friend whose daughter has severe OI. She really needs some help figuring out a more comfortable carseat situation as she fractures very often and continually deals with a lot of pain.

"Car seat Question ~ She is having a lot of discomfort even in the custom padded carseat we had built for her several years ago. We borrowed a Britex to try but it caused even more pain. She prefers to be in almost a laying position which does not work too well. I have looked at the strap system that allows they to lay down and maybe if I padded it well she would be OK but I am not real comfortable with that concept. Are others struggling with comfort for older kids? And what are you using?

age 8, severe OI, 35 inches tall"

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
How much does she weigh? At that size, would your friend consider rear-facing her? It would be safer, and kiddo could recline up to 45 degrees.

I wouldn't even consider modified EZ On harness (the lying-down one) for her.

jubgulia

Okay, here's a little more information:

"She is 34 pounds, 35 inches tall, mostly trunk as she has very short femurs and 90-bowing in her tibias."

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yeah RF would be ideal but at 8....? Also depending on how long her legs are, it might not be good for them in the RF position.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
An Aurora said:
Yeah RF would be ideal but at 8....? Also depending on how long her legs are, it might not be good for them in the RF position.

Just throwing it out there as a suggestion. ;)

The MyRide definitely has about as much FF recline as you'll get in a regular seat. When I'm not on my phone I'll post pics of how reclined it installs in my vehicle.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Any special needs techs in the Portland, Oregon, area?

I am close. Well 1 1/2 hours, but happy to help. I can take seats up to her, for her to try.

I have:

MyRide
Regent
ProSport
Radian
Marathon
TFP

and one other I can not remember right now.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
FYI, here is the MyRide in my Focus. I had to really work to get it this upright - its natural recline is even more than this.

MiRydeFFrcline.jpg

autumnlily

I think she should also be referred to Tammy Franks at Legacy (CPST- I/SN) and Judi can bring her slew of seats to try out.

What about the Tomato seat?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, she is currently in an expired Eddie Bauer seat. Mom likes it because she can RF if needed. It is narrow and easy to carry on her wheelchair (mom's). Turns out she and I know some of the same people, so she wants to come down here. We will try out seats, and they will get a fire department tour. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC