The case of the tipping carseats (forward facing)

sixmaybemore

I have an '04 Suburban. I have two in harnessed seats. I am having a continuing battle of keeping seats installed within safe parameters.

It doesn't matter if I use the lock on the seat itself, or if I am locking the belt and engaging the retractor. I will install the seat and lock it. Within the day, it is tipping over towards the middle. By the next day, it's loose enough to pull the bottom out from under it, and there is visible slack in lap belt portion.

Yes, the tether is being used. No, it's not happening with one brand of seat. It's happened with:

Radian
Safeguard CS (not Go)
FR85

Both harnessed seats are installed on the middle seats (bench), outboard. I am so frustrated with this that I am ready to scream. If it was just the retractor, I would think that the retractor is broken. It isn't, though, it's happening with the built in lock off on the SGCS, too. It's like a lock off conspiracy. Hmph.

WTH?

Last edited:
ADS

sixmaybemore

Ok, so am I reading correctly that you have switchable retractors?

Yep, and I am locking them in at install, feeding excess into the retractor, and then checking. At the time of install, it is tight, less than one inch of movement, no slack. I'm pulling from the latchplate side, and there is no slack when viewing it when standing at the door.

seriously. this is driving me nuts. It's why I took the FR85's out, and put the SGCS's back in, thinking that if I used the lock off in the SGCS that it would solve the issue. And nooooo. It did not.
:mad:

sixmaybemore

I also thought, well, you know, maybe it's from the way the kids are climbing in that it's tipping. But that doesn't explain why it's LOOSE, when hours before, it wasn't. :scratcheshead:

sixmaybemore

I think it is the installer. :duck:

LOL

Ask KQ. I know how to install a seat. I put hers in her rental in Phoenix. I've never had this happen in any other vehicle I've owned.

Now, if you tell me it's b/c I rolled over to 200K miles, I might believe you. Heh.

I'm almost positive the retractor slips. I don't have ANY confidence that an install will hold. Trying to figure out why the lock off on the SGCS slips is another matter. The way the belt is angled in the vehicle? Gnomes? TROLLS? I'd try a locking clip but I can't get one on there with the angle of the locking clip, and then the LATCH mechanism placement when not in use.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC