at what point would you replace?

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
DDs XTSL was in DHs car this afternoon. Not installed but in the backseat.( we've already had that talk :/ ) I haven't seen the damage in daylight yet but it doesn't look too severe. But his car was IN an actual tornado (ef2+) has dents on several panels, as well as had debris rammed under it and moved around parking lot. It is ridable and damage appears minor, but this tornado also took down 2 of their 3 buildings. I dunno how rough the car was treated. He's going to call the insurance company tomorrow. FWIW he has geico and I had to fight them tooth and nail in Dec to replace the MR that he had when he hit a deer.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you had renters/homeowners insurance, it should cover that, though not sure it would be worth it without other items to claim. But I doubt car insurance will cover that, since it was not a crash and not even installed. I'd not be comfortable using it, though.

Keeanh

There's a provision in our car insurance for damage by hail, earthquake, etc.. Don't remember if tornado is in there since we don't get them here. It's under "comprehensive" rather than "collision". I would fight to have it covered under whatever other claim you're already making, be it vehicle comprehensive or homeowners.

BigDaddy

Had the seat moved from where it was? Or anything that would indicate that the car was suddenly jarred?

It doesn't take much force to cause dents and dings. In a high wind situation, small debris would leave dents without even moving anything inside the car. Anything windblown heavy enough to cause harmful shock inside the car would cause heavy damage outside.

Did the car impact anything as it was moved across the parking lot? In wet conditions it really doesn't take much wind on a car's broadside to move it. All it takes is a little gust to get it going and then a steady wind will keep it moving. The movement is actually kind of smooth and graceful.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
i agree with the 2 pp's....was the car itself actually moved? or just battered some? And the seat... was it like thrown around the vehicle? If it wasn't installed there was probably no stress to the beltpath, and it's a radian. That thing is like 46 pounds of freaking steel. That survived having an entire parking garage fall on top of it. I'm having a hard time thinking it was that badly damaged if the car itself is still driveable, you know?

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
I don't know how much the car moved. The radian didn't seem to move at all. It was in place for a center install, but not buckled. Still haven't seen the car in daylight since I'm still in bed. Lol

I think I'm ok with it, gna call sk to see what they think, just in case.

andre149

If the seat wasn't buckled in and hadn't moved out of position I think that would be enough for me to say the car wasn't jostled enough to be a concern, but I'm curious to see what it looks like in the daylight :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC