Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Post Radian Safety Notice from Transport Canada - not a recall

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/child...07p02/menu.htm

This describes an issue with the safestop. Owners are still to continue using it, but replacement safe stops will be mailed starting next month to registered owners. There's a detailed explanation on the notice. Nothing to really worry about, but should be aware of & make sure you're registered so that you get the new safestop.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor

Re: Radian Safety Notice from Transport Canada - not a recall

Thanks for the heads-up.

But technically, isn't a "public notice" a recall and a "consumer information notice" is not a recall but for-info-only kind of notice?

Public notice/recall is the kind that might poses a safety risk and a 'fix' must be done. While the other kind, consumer info notice, is to inform consumer of certain issue (like 3rd-party products, missing French label, etc.)
    Tam
    Certified Canadian CRS Technician-Instructor

DD#1, Aug 1999
    DS, May 2001
    DD#2, Aug 2007

Quote Originally Posted by hipmaman View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up.

But technically, isn't a "public notice" a recall and a "consumer information notice" is not a recall but for-info-only kind of notice?

Public notice/recall is the kind that might poses a safety risk and a 'fix' must be done. While the other kind, consumer info notice, is to inform consumer of certain issue (like 3rd-party products, missing French label, etc.)
    You know you're probably right about that since there is a fix for it. Although I guess what made me not really see it as a recall is that TC said to just keep using the current safestop because the safety benefits outweigh the potential risk of the possible increased risk of head excursion.

Interestingly enough, the increased head excursion only happened with the 3yr old dummy.

So I guess what's left to wonder is if SK hadn't revised the safestop, would they haev told consumers to quit using it, or just wanted parents to be aware of it?

At any rate, I was surprised when I found it last night.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

thanks for this i belive i have that one but i have never used it. We swiched between my 5yr old son and my 3yr dd so much it was easier not to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by juliebug View Post
    thanks for this i belive i have that one but i have never used it. We swiched between my 5yr old son and my 3yr dd so much it was easier not to use it.
    I just wanted to let you know in case it applies, that if you're in Canada, the top tether is mandatory. Radian requires you to use the safestop in any forward facing installation with a child who weighs less than 40lbs when the seat is tethered. So if one of your kids is less than 40lbs and one is more than 40lbs, you'll actually need to take the safe stop off or put it on depending on which child is using the seat.