Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Putting headrests in a 96 Dosge Caravan?

We have a 96 Dodge Caravan that has no headrests for the 2nd and 3rd rows. However, there are holes for them on top of the bench seats and I am wondering about putting them in. We just got this used so I don't have a manual. Usually we only have dd in it, she's still RF, but once in awhile we have adults. Do you have to go to the dealer for this type of thing or could we put some in ourselves from another van that is the same make and model?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Putting headrests in a 96 Dosge Caravan?

if the holes are already there, then chances are:

1) the van is a lower trim model that only came with the headrests on higher end models, but to save money they used the same seats with the pre-existing holes

2) the van came with the headrests but the previous owner lost them

if the holes are already there, then you can try to find used headrests from a salvage yard from the same make and model of van... if you order new ones through the dealer you may spend a couple of hundred dollars.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Thanks! We'll check out the junk yard. I was really hoping we wouldn't have to spend much for them, but wanted it to be safe.

I had a 96 Caravan and I had the headrests out most of the time so chances are they were just misplaced. Any junk yard should have them.

April
    mommy to K, 5 years, 41.5 lbs, 44 inches, harnessed in a Britax Frontier CT

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
    Thanks! We'll check out the junk yard. I was really hoping we wouldn't have to spend much for them, but wanted it to be safe.
    from a junkyard, i would expect to pay $15-40 for a decent pair.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.