seriously how will I ever clean this seat?

omg I can not get Fiona's nautilus clean, I gave up on the harness and buckle and just called for a new set..But the cracks and crevices have dried vomit all inside, I can't stand throw up, it is the nastiest, and it is worse when I know it is from a contagious virus (the stomach bug) She is just using the radian in my car right now, and I took the nautilus in and it is in the basement, I am going to try to clean it again in 2 weeks when the norovirus has likely died enough for me to handle it.

Anything I can do? I washed the first cover, the second is going in the wash when I can handle more vomit cleaning.. but the seat itself? what works? and down in the tight spaces that it seeped into.. (I mean I took it out and their were puddles of puke on my seat of my car.. like major mess. and it happened again after I cleaned it the first time.. so yea gross.)

cause right now I am so tempted to never use it again.

ADS

vtbecca

I've cleaned up so many vomited on carseats. 2 of my boys vomited very frequently. We actually keep vomit bags in the car after one too many times of cleaning up. Can you hose off the seat? I have done that a few times. It won't get it all but it definitely helps get some of it off so it's a bit less disgusting to clean. For the car I use totally toddler cleaning spray. It is pretty heavily baby powder scented and works well. Then I would let everything air out for a few days if you can get by without using that particular seat, otherwise the car will take longer to not smell.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
You must have missed my glitter and butter nautilus. I stripped in, took it apart and cleaned it. So take the backless booster off and everything.

abigaylebelle

Wow that is gross. At that point I usually think how much not cleaning the seat is worth to me. If it's the amount the seat costs then I would just replace. In fact I did that when ds puked in one of his roundabouts, plus I had my car professionally detailed. My car has mesh seats so that was absolutely required.
There comes a point when it is just too disgusting.

christineka

I can't recall if you cloth diaper or not, but if you have a toilet sprayer or maybe a handheld shower head massager, set the seat in the bathtub and power spray water into the crevices. Or stick it on the lawn and power hose it. Get dry towels to sop up the latch strap right away. You can use q-tips and toothpicks to scrub in the crevices.

henrietta

I can't recall if you cloth diaper or not, but if you have a toilet sprayer or maybe a handheld shower head massager, set the seat in the bathtub and power spray water into the crevices. Or stick it on the lawn and power hose it. Get dry towels to sop up the latch strap right away. You can use q-tips and toothpicks to scrub in the crevices.

This.

I did this when after my sil gave me back my FPSVD--it needed it BAD!!!

It will be fine.

henrietta

ahhh the hand held shower (We used to cloth diaper but Nolan is mostly toilet trained and I never invested in a sprayer) I am totally throwing it in the shower and hosing it down, who cares if the harness gets soaked, I am getting a new one anyways.. it is impossible to clean it with rubber gloves on which is what makes it so gross for me. :(

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The harness comes completely out. Take the cover off. The seat comes apart into 3 pieces.

arly1983

The harness comes completely out. Take the cover off. The seat comes apart into 3 pieces.

WSS!

Put on some glovers (or zip lock bags), cover up your nose, and completely dismantle the seat. Trash the harness. Toss the cover in the washer. Then spray down the three pieces you have left. Your manual tells you how to do this.

(And I promise it can't be worse than the projectile prune/soy formula vomit in my marathon and it came perfectly clean)

emtb79

I so feel your pain and am right there with you. I have never ever had to clean one of my seats EVER. This weekend I will be washing 3 count them THREE cow seats because of parents bringing sick kids to daycare.

scariestone

You could also take it to one of those wash your own car places. The power of those sprayers is crazy and would surely get all the nasty out of the crevices.

mlohry

scariestone said:
You could also take it to one of those wash your own car places. The power of those sprayers is crazy and would surely get all the nasty out of the crevices.

That's a fabulous idea, gonna have to remember that one!

Kat_Momof3

okay, this is what I'd do... first... strip seat... second... go outside... third... turn on hose... partially cover end with thumb... and go ahead and hose the plastic down (obviously NOT soaking the harness adjuster in process)

and to prevent the harness adjuster getting wet... pull it all the way "loose" until you can just tuck the bit left into the hole in front... then fold the yolk and strap and use a hairtie or rubber band to keep it together and a piece of tape to secure it under the "seat" portion.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
okay, this is what I'd do... first... strip seat... second... go outside... third... turn on hose... partially cover end with thumb... and go ahead and hose the plastic down (obviously NOT soaking the harness adjuster in process)

and to prevent the harness adjuster getting wet... pull it all the way "loose" until you can just tuck the bit left into the hole in front... then fold the yolk and strap and use a hairtie or rubber band to keep it together and a piece of tape to secure it under the "seat" portion.

Add to the second part: Put plastic baggie over rubberbanded majority of seat. Likelyhood is that the part that does get wet is part that will not be in the adjuster. ;)

You can also use a kitchen sprayer. I used one on a TFP.. Bonus is that the Nauti comes apart. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC