If you see a car seat mistake in a parking lot, do you ever leave a note?

Brianna

I was walking to my car in a parking lot and another car pulled in next to me, only the driver exited. Seeing car seats in the back I peeked over to look (I should stop doing that:whistle:), and there were 2 high back boosters (unoccupied) that weren't buckled in.

If you were me, would you have left a note kindly letting the driver know that those boosters could become projectiles in an accident?

ADS

Keeanh

I wouldn't for that. Most people have projectiles lying around in their vehicle. I might for something really bad, like a 1yo in a nbb or a FF infant seat. I try not to look.

Calleiah

I probably wouldnt leave a note for that but if I saw the person getting in/out I might mention it in passing. :eek: I did leave a note this week while I was at BabiesRUs because the car next to me had a VERY expired Graco Snugride, 3 pt harness and the super old base. I hope the note was received well. I left them info on where to get more information and how to find a local tech (though I didnt leave my name or number just in case they were hacked off. LOL)
I've never actually left a note before but I felt like I needed to. This seat was well installed, and otherwise in good shape, just old.

hrice

I probably wouldnt leave a note for that but if I saw the person getting in/out I might mention it in passing. :eek: I did leave a note this week while I was at BabiesRUs because the car next to me had a VERY expired Graco Snugride, 3 pt harness and the super old base. I hope the note was received well. I left them info on where to get more information and how to find a local tech (though I didnt leave my name or number just in case they were hacked off. LOL)
I've never actually left a note before but I felt like I needed to. This seat was well installed, and otherwise in good shape, just old.

I saw a VERY expired OHS in a van and left a note. I have also left ERF postcards on many vehicles when I see an infant bucket. I figure if I can catch them before they FF I might have a chance. :D

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I tried to tell my BFF and his wife that their DD's booster should be buckled when it's unoccupied and they totally brushed me off. Their seat use isn't atrocious but it's not ideal. They would have none of ERF and their kids were turned at around 11.5 months because they were "close enough".
So no, I wouldn't leave a note about buckling boosters in. I have been tempted in the past to leave notes on cars but I have not done it yet. I have intercepted grandparents in Target that were looking at a CrappySport. Their grandson was ERF (yay!) and they were looking for a convertible for when he visited. I steered them in the direction of the Scenera and MyRide.

leighi123

I have for things that are very obviously super dangerous.

I think the last one I left was for a forward facing Truefit, installed in recline mode without the headrest. Left my card and a note, no response.

amelia222

I have for a few really old OHS seats and talked to a mom about her ff 7 month old in an improperly installed seat. But I wouldn't leave a note about the boosters.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
You'd have to leave a note on my car, then :eek: 9 pounds or so of plastic, fabric and EPS foam whacking into my seatback doesn't frighten me very much, so I don't bother buckling my non-Latchable boosters in, even though the manual tells me to.:whistle:

I don't leave notes about any other gross misuse, either, and never ever would leave my information (I don't want someone angry to know my phone number, and getting a note about doing something wrong like that can really make people ticked off :()

laudymama

I saw a VERY expired OHS in a van and left a note. I have also left ERF postcards on many vehicles when I see an infant bucket. I figure if I can catch them before they FF I might have a chance. :D

That is a great idea!!!! :thumbsup:

ConnorsMommy

I wouldn't leave a note for unbuckled boosters, but I did leave a note on a car one time in the parking lot at my son's school. A car pulled in next to me and I noticed a ComfortSport in the back seat that wasn't buckled in, It looked like it had been, but was accidentally unbuckled. I just said that I noticed it was unbuckled and signed it "A concerned parent". Most of the time, I just have to bite my tongue and look the other way.

wavegal

I wouldn't leave a note for an unbuckled booster. I think if the seat was highly misused I might. I definitely would leave a note if a seat was unbuckled!

for that not a chance.. I saw the most pathetic car seat install the other day, the seat was leaning forward hanging from the belt, sideways.. so bizzare.. like they tried to do it really stupidly wrong for a joke, the seat was also at least 15 or more years old.. anyways I did not leave a note, I did that once for a similar installed car seat (scenera though) that was parked out side MY house.. DH was horrified and mortified and I got a lecture from him and my mom about minding my business... and how no wonder our neighbors hate me

mommyfrog

I have once or twice and wanted to many, many more times!! Like yesterday when I saw a ff Tribute in the recline position and straps on the middle slots, so probably a pretty small kiddo or straps too low. Anyway, I wanted to leave a note with info on seeing a tech but my dh was with me and he said to leave the poor people alone, at least they were using a car seat.

Kendrab2315

Before coming on this site a lot, I think I'd be weirded out and embarrassed if someone ever left a note on my car... Especially if they went into detail about what I was doing wrong. I'd be thinking they were literally staring into my car trying to spot mistakes! Now I know you experts just automatically know how everything goes and it would only take you a quick glance :)

Now I hope people are looking at my seats thinking "good job!!!" haha

Brianna

I was tempted but I didn't. I was just curious then I guess as to what would cause you to leave a note, if anything. I do see lots of misuse and it just saddens me.

mlohry

I usually just pray for wisdom over the parents and angels over the kids, but sometimes I just literally bite my tongue or I feel guilty a month later like I still feel guilty over not saying anything when I watched this Dad buckle his adorable little daughter into the lap belt of his SUV and she was maybe 3, that was a really hard one. It took all of my strength not to bang on his window. If I would have seen it when he was exiting the car to go to the store, I would have come up with a note to leave but I didn't have the guts to say something, but it still bothers me. A couple years back I saw a couple buckle there one year old into a convertible seat, no harness in it, just buckled over him like it was a booster. I told them that was horribly unsafe and they needed to find a seat with a harness in it, the mom said it was at home :( Just got to bite the tongue really hard sometimes!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC