What to do about my small 11yr old

agurlsride

He complains almost daily about having to ride in a booster when none of the kids in his class do and how embarrassing it is. I tried him without it in the third row of our Sedona and he can sit with his feet flat on the floor, the shoulder belt lies across his chest and shoulder properly but I am not so sure about the lapbelt. It kinda seems ok but he is only 4'5. If he does fit ok is it required that he be 4'9?

Sent from my MyTouch using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Most states don't require the age AND height, just one or the other. And of course, just like with carseats, torso height plays a big part, as does leg length in this regard.

At 11 if the lap belt fit is good, and the shoulder belt fit is good, and he otherwise passes the five step test plus feet on the floor, and he's miserable in a booster, I'd be ok taking him out. If he doesn't pass all six steps, though, I'd leave him in.

Wendy

mom2olivia

Most states don't require the age AND height, just one or the other. And of course, just like with carseats, torso height plays a big part, as does leg length in this regard.

At 11 if the lap belt fit is good, and the shoulder belt fit is good, and he otherwise passes the five step test plus feet on the floor, and he's miserable in a booster, I'd be ok taking him out. If he doesn't pass all six steps, though, I'd leave him in.

Wendy

The lap belt isn't going to fit the same as it does when they are in a booster. It needs to be across their pelvis/hip bones instead of across their thighs. Basically if it is still up on their abdoment he will still need to ride in a booster.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The lap belt isn't going to fit the same as it does when they are in a booster. It needs to be across their pelvis/hip bones instead of across their thighs. Basically if it is still up on their abdoment he will still need to ride in a booster.

Yes, we know this, that's why Wendy specified 'if the lapbelt fit is good', so that the mom can judge this on her own with that particular child in that particular seating spot. IF it's on his pelvis THEN it's safe, as he meets the other steps of the 5 step rule plus feet flat on the floor (bum all the way back, knees bent at the edge of the seat, lapbelt on lap, shoulderbelt on shoulder, sitting that way the entire trip, are the 'five step test', and all children reach it at different ages and sizes depending on the vehicle/seating position...a third row in a minivan is often proportioned to fit children much better, even without boosters).
:)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I know my friend's dd passed the 5-step test in her Sedona long before she could pass it in other seating positions, so it's quite possible he'd be fine without a booster as long as he's willing to sit in the way-back. :D

agurlsride

Ok guys, I will check him out without the booster again and see how he looks, maybe I will post some pics too. He doesn't mind sitting in the third row as that's his normal seeting position anyway.

Kat_Momof3

yes, I'd like to see pictures... I would definitely explain to him that it is all about belt fit... because while he may fit in that seating position in that car, it may still be awhile before he fits in other vehicles in any seating position... so he needs to know he's not done with the booster completely, even if he fits.

ahgirls

If it helps my 11 year old middle school student was in nbb till Dec. I didn't like the way the lap belt rose up on her stomach in dh subaru. She had 5 step a long time ago in my van. Dh takes her to school every morining.

agurlsride

Kat, I think that's gonna be the tough part, getting him to realize that even if I take him out of a booster in my car, it doesn't mean he is out of the woods in someone elses. I won't see him until tomorrow morning so I'll try to take a pic of him before school.

agurlsride

Ok forget I even asked because when I tried him without a booster this morning I didn't like how the shoulder belt fit.

mom2olivia

Yes, we know this, that's why Wendy specified 'if the lapbelt fit is good', so that the mom can judge this on her own with that particular child in that particular seating spot. IF it's on his pelvis THEN it's safe, as he meets the other steps of the 5 step rule plus feet flat on the floor (bum all the way back, knees bent at the edge of the seat, lapbelt on lap, shoulderbelt on shoulder, sitting that way the entire trip, are the 'five step test', and all children reach it at different ages and sizes depending on the vehicle/seating position...a third row in a minivan is often proportioned to fit children much better, even without boosters).
:)

Oh I wasn't correcting her, just adding to it to let the origional poster know how a lap belt should fit. Since Wendy had said "if the lapbelt fit is good" I just thought I would add to that...I wasn't correcting her though :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC