Rear seat in minivan

cdncasper

I have both girls in the rear seat of my 99 Caravan and the seat is in the most forward position with the middle bench folded down. :question: 2 questions...

1. How much room is considered safe between back hatch and back of rear seat?

2. Is it ok to have the girls in their seats with the middle bench not folded? When not folded they sit with legs crossed touching back of middle bench.

ADS

all together ooky

Is there a reason they aren't using the middle bench? They would be safer, especially in a rear-ender.

I've always heard that it's best if you have AT LEAST 12 inches (the more, the better) between the third row and the hatch.

Yes, if the kids are restrained properly it should be fine to have the middle bench not folded.

Also, since Jenna is only 29lbs she would be much safer rear-facing. The AOE goes to 35lbs RF.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I wouldn't be any more concerned about rear impacts for passengers in the third row than you would be for side impacts for passengers in an outboard seat. Side impacts are more frequent and deadly, especially to properly restrained passengers.

Also:

http://www.suvsafety.info/thirdrow.html

The concern about the middle row is that if it the third row passengers are too close, it could be something their heads could strike in an impact? That is a risk, but it's impossible to say if it is very small or not. Certainly if the middle row is in use, you should make sure everything is installed tightly, the harness is tight and the top tether is in use.

cdncasper

The reason they are in the rear seat is that is the only place I have tethers for the carseats and since I have adults in the van on a regular basis it is easier for them to be in the middle seats instead of the rear and than I don't have to uninstall the carseats all the time. With the rear bench pushed up all the way too I have more room in the back for the stroller and my bin of stuff and they are farther from the hatch. I rarely have the 2nd row up with them in the van and we most of the time it is when the middle seat is being used with other carseats for quick trips--RF or boosters or 1 FF using the middle seatbelt of the 3rd row as a tether.
The girls carseats are properly in and tethered and they get harnessed in properly all the time. I am going to be doing my CRST course next weekend so I am very safety consience.

all together ooky

Sorry I didn't notice that you were in Canada. Oops.

Since the carseats are in tight and tethered then I wouldn't worry about the second row.

Congratulations on the upcoming CRST course. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC