check fit... to train or not?

sunnymw

This is my 4.5yo. Stats in siggy are current. Wondering if I should work a little on training here before the baby arrives, because once June rolls around I won't have the room to do so.

IMAG0455.jpg

IMAG0458.jpg

IMAG0459.jpg

And just for fun, here was my 2.75yo. Stats in siggy current.
IMAG0461.jpg

IMAG0462.jpg

IMAG0463.jpg

Ironically enough, he would do better maturity wise than my 4.5yo....

ADS

gsdguenter

Once the baby comes are you going to booster him (the older one obviously)?

Is there are reason you want to booster him instead of keeping him harnessed? Just curious, not trying to judge or say harness forever, he just looks so tiny. But, my oldest is not even 4 yet so my idea of size is a bit skewed :p

It sounds like he is not mature enough, is this true? I ask 'cause if you are worried about his ability to stay still it might not be good to train him :twocents: He could get out of place during a "training trip" and you could get into and accident and that would not be good. kwim?

sunnymw

I don't want to booster him at all... but I would like him to know the basics should there ever be an emergency.
Ie, if Mikah broke his leg RIGHT NOW and I rode in the ambulance with him, and DH had the car... GMIL would not be able to properly install a harnessed seat to come get him or pick him up from school. Lesser of two evils.

babyherder

I'd try him a TB. I think the lap belt looks kind of high and the shoulder belt looks like its falling off his shoulder.

Qarin

Yes, I think that fit is quite poor- it doesn't look like the lap belt is below the top of his hip bones, and the shoulder belt is slipping off his shoulder. A straight-on shot might have been helpful, and having the 2yo's pictures there wasn't really that fun because it was hard for me to differentiate which kid was which to pull good information about the one which matters in this scenario...

sunnymw

I will get a straight on shot tomorrow when I play seats again :)
For what its worth, the shoulder belt in person was dead on where it should be. I just wasn't sure if the lap belt was low.enough.

gsdguenter

I don't want to booster him at all... but I would like him to know the basics should there ever be an emergency.
Ie, if Mikah broke his leg RIGHT NOW and I rode in the ambulance with him, and DH had the car... GMIL would not be able to properly install a harnessed seat to come get him or pick him up from school. Lesser of two evils.

Oh, okay. Well then I'd say no. I wouldn't train him cause I don't really get the idea of training; they are either ready or not imho.

But, that's not what you asked about :whistle:

The fit doesn't look that great so my suggestion is still no. But I'm not a tech so take it with a grain of salt.

NannyMom

I don't think I would. Not at only 35 pounds. He's actually the same size and age as Sofi (9/06, 34lbs, 40in). I want to booster train her because I think she might do well, but I can't at only 34 pounds.

christineka

I would not. True emergencies happen very rarely for most of us. I find kids are usually good in an emergency, sitting in a booster for a first time. (Or at least, my kids are.)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I don't think I would. Not at only 35 pounds. He's actually the same size and age as Sofi (9/06, 34lbs, 40in). I want to booster train her because I think she might do well, but I can't at only 34 pounds.

The weight really doesn't make a difference. He's above the minimums.

Morganthe

He's 4.5 and looks very rambunctious. :D
You say you won't have time when the baby comes.... however, there is absolutely no guarantee that if you 'train' him now, that he'll retain the memory any length of time for a hypothetical emergency situation.

I agree with the others, the nautilus is overall too large for him. There's a lot of wiggle space around that shoulderbelt, imo. Especially down his arm.

Personally,I wouldn't feel comfortable placing my child in it with that fit IF she wasn't a quiet settled child who I know would remain in place.

FOR an emergency situation, I"d look at a TB or Parkway (I think TB is more affordable) --- demonstrate its use to GMIL, then keep it at her location.

Then as you're driving, talk to your son and reinforce the idea over time that being in the car with grandma is a time to be as still as possible, like a mouse. Pretend he's with Grandma(you be grandma :p) --- act as if he was with grandma in the booster seat for pretend. Do this maybe a few times a month. But no need to actually change seats.

Let him mature instead of worrying about training. This would be an emergency situation so hypothetical is okay. I honestly wouldn't worry that much about it at this point in time.

jmho :)

sunnymw

Thank you for the replies everyone!!!

I think I will leave him be for now. All else fails, it is not much more to.get a maestro to just keep in GMIL's car.

arly1983

I think you are making the right decision. The booster fit on my much bigger J was not good in the Nautilus. I like you idea of a maestro then it could be used for J and M in an emergency and its really not that much more than a turbo.

tarabelle

Your boys look so much alike that I thought they were all the same kid!

I'm with the others, not a good fit IMO. Maestro would be a good idea for a backup seat, but still leaves the question of GMIL being able to install it properly. Have you ever attempted to show her how to install a seat?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC