Another SuperLatch question...

MaeganEmily

We finally got a new (enough) car that has LATCH, so I was trying to install my 80SL outboard FFing. I got it all nice and beautifully installed ... until I tested the install. The simple movement at the belt path caused the SL to loosen. I could watch the belt slipping.

So I called up SKJP ... Susan is sending me a new SuperLatch. :confused:

I explained to her that the locking mechanism is right at the corner of the belt path, and therefore it will not lock. How is a new, identical, SuperLatch going to work any better than the one I have now? And if I do end up with an old style one (what I thought she was going to suggest), what is its limit in a Subaru?

I did get a good install with the seatbelt. It's not the end of the world.

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
Ugh! I'm so frustrated with SK right now. Report it to NHTSA. There's a place on their website to do it.

Calleiah

Wow, Im super unimpressed with their response to this issue. How many complaints does it take to get NHTSA to do something?

MaeganEmily

Done and done.

The more I look at it, the more I see that it's just really bad design. If the latch belt isn't totally straight, it's not going to lock. The latch belt has to bend at some point, in order to latch to the vehicle. It follows that there would be some (apparently large) percentage of vehicles where the bend is going to be at the wrong place. With a lap belt, you can simply twist the female end of the buckle down so that the locking mechanism is straight. There is no possible way to do that with latch and still be able to use it.

Overall, a big WTF.

jess71903

Ambassador
The easy solution to this is to shorten the short strap from the connector to the adjuster, and just use the old-style adjuster with the button release!

MaeganEmily

So the new LATCH came. Doesn't work, obviously. Had a tech double check it, so that when I call SK back I have some 'backup'. (She recommended that I turn DD around, so I don't really trust her judgment at all, but I just wanted someone 'certified' to give me the second opinion. She'd never seen/heard of a Radian at all.)

So when I call them back, do I ask for an old-style LATCH belt, or just forget about it?

SK also sent me a new chest clip for some reason. I have no use for this. Ebay?

Stelvis

MaeganEmily said:
So the new LATCH came. Doesn't work, obviously. Had a tech double check it, so that when I call SK back I have some 'backup'. (She recommended that I turn DD around, so I don't really trust her judgment at all, but I just wanted someone 'certified' to give me the second opinion. She'd never seen/heard of a Radian at all.)

So when I call them back, do I ask for an old-style LATCH belt, or just forget about it?

SK also sent me a new chest clip for some reason. I have no use for this. Ebay?

I'm dealing with almost the exact same situation right now (mine is being undone by my 2 year old's foot) and Susan sent me two new straps and neither one works. Russ just told me to use duct tape to hold it down.

I'd urge you to make a video of the installation and show how it slips, and send the video to her or even post it on YouTube. In addition, file an NHTSA complaint and let them know you've done so. Eventually they're going to ask you to ship back both LATCH straps for "further testing," and if you make a video first, then you'll have proof of what was happening.

When I talked to Susan, she claimed that "very very few" people were having problems with these straps, but I have trouble believing that. More likely, there's a lot of people who just give up and use the seatbelt, or worse, don't notice at all.

I'm insisting on my money back, nothing less. They sold me a product that doesn't work as advertised, and they have failed to provide a solution for me.

Let's keep in touch with each other and compare notes!

Stelvis

Yeah, I'm no CPST, but I know enough not to use frickin' duct tape. Plus, what would happen to the strap itself when the duct tape got old and the adhesive sort of soaked into the strap? It could gum it up or gum up the mechanism.

After going around and around with them on this, I think they're just trying really hard to not have to do a very expensive recall...

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Stelvis said:
After going around and around with them on this, I think they're just trying really hard to not have to do a very expensive recall...

Which is why it's so important to get NHTSA involved. In the past, NHTSA has been rather ineffective and slow, but they seem to be on top of things lately.

canadiangie

Yeah, I'm no CPST, but I know enough not to use frickin' duct tape. Plus, what would happen to the strap itself when the duct tape got old and the adhesive sort of soaked into the strap? It could gum it up or gum up the mechanism.

Expensive, but more over this SL product is their "shining moment" in the seat world. My understanding is that the entire strap and all it's components/design is key to allowing such a high usage limit. Of course with automakers limiting LATCH use to 40 or 48lbs (suburu I think is 60 but don't quote me, I'm tired) it's all sort of moot anyway (<---- controversial at best) but at the end of the day, having SL be recalled wouldn't just be expensive, it would also be rather embarrassing. The rise and fall of SL, if that makes sense. Yikes.

Stelvis

canadiangie said:
Expensive, but more over this SL product is their "shining moment" in the seat world. My understanding is that the entire strap and all it's components/design is key to allowing such a high usage limit. Of course with automakers limiting LATCH use to 40 or 48lbs (suburu I think is 60 but don't quote me, I'm tired) it's all sort of moot anyway (<---- controversial at best) but at the end of the day, having SL be recalled wouldn't just be expensive, it would also be rather embarrassing. The rise and fall of SL, if that makes sense. Yikes.

Very true. Which is probably why they keep acting like they've never heard of it before/try to blame the customer for a bad install.

MaeganEmily

I think I'm SOL. This was my response from SKJP today. I bought my seat on 12/29/09, so it's out of warranty (right?).

"Hi Maegan,

Thank you for providing your car seat serial number and DOM.

I am sorry you are having an issue with your car seat. We want to work with you to remedy the issue you are having.

To That end we sent a replacement SuperLATCH On 4/13/2011 for your car seat. You called on 4/22/2011 and said you felt this had not resolved the issue.

In accordance with our warranty you can send us your car seat and we will either repair or replace it at our discretion.

Please reference RA# 12975 when you ship your car seat back.

Please see an excerpt of our warranty below. You can view our full warranty on our website www.skjp.com

LIMITED ONE-YEAR WARRANTY This product is warranted against physical defects in materials or workmanship as a result of normal use for one year from the date of original retail purchase. Proof of purchase is required. The exclusive remedy for this warranty is that Sunshine Kids will upon return of the product to Sunshine Kids and determination of any such defect, at its sole option replace, repair or provide replacement components for this product.

Best regards,

Susan"

Also, what exactly would happen when/if I send my seat back in? I know it's a vehicle-specific issue, and from other threads it's not like they're going to go test it in an '09 Forester anyway.

Stelvis

Yeah, they sent me that same email. I call BS. I told them they can solve this problem on THEIR time, not mine. If I am going to send back their seat and not get my money back, then how am I going to buy a new seat to restrain my child in the meantime? I should not be the one to bear that expense -- they should.

MaeganEmily

Stelvis - I just now saw your email on the other thread. Holy crap.

So SKJP's message is "We don't really care if it doesn't work. It worked for us when we tested it in some generic set up or on a sled, and it's not our problem that it doesn't work in real life. KTHXBYE!"

Lovely. I haven't heard back from Susan yet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC